Sign in to follow this  
Ray42

Spanish American Jumper & Marine Corps finds

Despite the lockdown and craziness that has been going on I got lucky a couple times on eBay and an outing to my favorite antique store that opened recently and thought I would share some of the more interesting finds with the forum. Up first is what I think is a Spanish-American war era jumper which appears slightly stained but unused. I'm not really familiar with navy jumpers so I may be wrong on the era but that's what the internet suggests it is. 

Span-Am jumper 2.png

Span-Am jumper.png

donation2019.gif

Next is probably my favorite find, a M41 jacket that is named to James Jackson who served with the 3rd Amphibious Tractor Battalion on Bougainville, Guam, and Iwo Jima. It is possible that he was wounded on Bougainville because he had a note on his muster roll that he was in the hospital during that period. His muster roll before Iwo Jima lists him as the Company's mess sergeant. The leather name patch probably was added shortly post war because he does not appear as a Master Sergeant on any of the muster rolls from WW2, but it is possible that the M41 was worn on Iwo Jima since that was the first location you see them worn in large numbers in the Pacific, there is no real way to prove it however. 

m41.png

m41-2.png

donation2019.gif

Up next is a slightly mothed dress blue jacket that is named to a marine signalmen who served with the 7th Marine anti-aircraft battalion and was stationed at Peleliu before being transferred to the Command post of the Headquarters battery, 10th regiment, Second Marine Division an was with them for their involvement at Okinawa. This uniform is from before he was sent overseas because he ended the war as a corporal, it must have never been worn once he returned which explains the unfortunate lack of a second marine division patch. 

Marine dress blues.png

Marine dress blues2.png

donation2019.gif

Last uniform is a FMF-Pac signal uniform that is named, but unfortunately the name is smeared beyond reading. It has a pretty cool cook striker on the sleeve and a very interesting construction. While looking for a clearer name I noticed that part of the inside lining seems to be made from the a hbt camo jacket, I don't know if this is a common type of construction but I thought it was pretty cool to see.

FMF-Pac signal.png

FMF-Pac signal2.png

donation2019.gif

The final find is an early Inland liner that came off eBay. This example features the snaps on the suspension for a headband as well as the rank of captain and named to Spallina. I haven't been able to find any information on this Captain its an attractive liner.

Spallina helm.png

Spallina helm2.png

Spallina helm3.png

helmet liner2.png

donation2019.gif

Thanks for looking!

donation2019.gif

Great finds...that M41 jacket is killer!👍🏻.....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

I think the jumper is from the 1920's

Bill

"The Americans on this Island are not ordinary troops, but Marines, a special force recruited from jails and insane asylums for blood lust." -Japanese Newspaper found during the Battle of Guadalcanal - "They Got That Right!!" Chesty Puller

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

4 hours ago, sgtdorango said:

Great finds...that M41 jacket is killer!👍🏻.....mike

Thanks, that's my 1st maybe 2nd favorite USMC uniform in my collection. Eventually I am going to have to try to figure out how to get records for him because I am sure that will complete the story on the great uniform.

1 hour ago, USMCR79 said:

I think the jumper is from the 1920's

Bill

And thanks for the opinion, you could be right because I know very little about the uniform.  I based the guess that it was Spanish American War era based on this thread and another very similar to it. You could be completely right however.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/310850-span-am-usn-jumper/&tab=comments#comment-2498016

donation2019.gif

Check the casualty card database for information on James Jackson. They have an excel sheet list that doesn’t provide much detail, but if you find his name on there you should request his casualty card. The excel sheets are towards the bottom of the page. 
I’d look but my phone isn’t allowing it and my computer is down. 
Let us know if you turn up anything more! Great finds! 

All the best,

Patrick

https://www.usmcu.edu/Research/Marine-Corps-History-Division/Research-Tools-Facts-and-Figures/Casualty-Card-Database/

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Always looking for items from these men (family members):
Even if not to buy, to know where they are would be great.
Cornelius Doherty - 108th Field Artillery, Pennsylvania NG, WWI Joseph A. Doherty - 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ID. KIA March 3, 1944.
Harry Riley - 62nd Armored Field Artillery Bn, Died August 13, 1944. Robert Lester Mahler - I/3/24, 4th Marine Div. WIA March 8, 1945.
Thomas R. Riley - USAAF Joshua L. Doherty - With a Seabee Unit, I believe.
Ens. Alex A. Gorski, USNR - Died as a POW, January 28, 1945. Capt. Henry Gorski, USN (ret.)
Remembering their service and sacrifice.

Thanks, that will be a useful source to know about. I thought I found him because there is a James W Jackson listed as wounded in march 1944, however he is from the 3rd Tank Battalion not amphibious tractor and my Jackson was listed as being in the 3rd Division hospital two months before the other individual was wounded so I don't think it was him. Maybe he just got sick while the Division was at Guadalcanal to refit before Guam. 

donation2019.gif