USMC WW2 P-44 Jacket - What's up on eBay?

Sgt. BARney

Sgt. BARney

I have listed a WW2 USMC P44 jacket on ebay twice over the last couple months, and both times it has sold but the buyer never pays or communicates.  The high bid and second high bid make their first bid in the last seconds, but payment never follows.  The first time, the bidder names were the same pattern - two random letters followed by six random numbers (bots?). I have ended up canceling the transactions each time.  Anyone else experienced this? What the heck is going on?

I have listed other various items which have sold, and the transactions have been completely normal.

Thanks,

Sgt. BARney 

olivedrab1970

Interesting, I have not listed any auctions in awhile. I have went to buy it now more over to avoid this type of instance. Suggestion as you may probably have done in the past, set your buy it now $100 over your final auction price from the last two auctions with best offer. Just a suggestion to have a real buyer interaction than a possible bot or non paying bidder.

Robin-

Sgt. BARney

Thanks for the suggestions OD70.

I am just really curious if someone/something is trying to corner a market on WW2 Marine camo, or spoil the market. If you search fleebay for "WW2 USMC camouflage", most of the products that come up are repros from China, plus a few 'Buy It Now' pieces.

olivedrab1970

I would not be su

10 minutes ago, Sgt. BARney said:

Thanks for the suggestions OD70.

I am just really curious if someone/something is trying to corner a market on WW2 Marine camo, or spoil the market. If you search fleebay for "WW2 USMC camouflage", most of the products that come up are repros from China, plus a few 'Buy It Now' pieces.

I would not be surprised if that was the case these days! I feel like everything I do outside of my home on the internet is a constant Spec Ops mission..lol Since the reproduction market has really taken off, manufacturers like Bronson are spending quite a bit on marketing I have noticed. They are making a large variety of WWII USGI and USMC clothing, damn shame!

Robin-

Ah it’s ok
Got a few issues
Probably buyers looking for a cleaner one
They are pretty common 200-275 for that one I would say.
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. BARney

Thanks Owen. Yes, I understand it isn't in the best shape and was actually very surprised that it brought the high bids that it did.  At the same time, it was a real kick to the crotch that the high bidder (both times) would choose to not pay, rather than just stay out of the auction.  I was just curious if anyone else on the forum has had similar experiences.

Probably not a global conspiracy :)....just the usual Ebay weirdos and deadbeats. I would say that the high bidders on a  good 1/3 of the things I sell on Ebay never pay.

As a buyer I am sometimes thankful for those people because their loss is my gain. There is nothing better then having something you really wanted slip from your hands because you weren't paying attention and then pop back up for a second chance. As a seller however, that is an annoying consequence of eBay.