USMC Winter Service Dress P-1920 or P-1920 Conversion

Dirk

Posting this here as well as in the uniform section, because much of the Marine collecting community passes through here. Looking for anyone in the collecting community that has a Marine Corps Winter Service Dress coat P-1920, in either its original standing collar configuration or more importantly in a roll collar configuration. The P-1920 is the first USMC issued Winter Service pattern coat to have ready made eyelets added to accommodate collar EGAs. They were standing collar coats until the late 1920's when a new roll collar coat (P-1929) was issued. But the Marines being thrifty, had some of the P-1920 coats Depot converted around that time to roll collars. A converted roll collar Winter  Service Dress conversion has recently surfaced and although the Marine Corps Museum has one in their standard reference uniform collection, there is a lack of information out there on these converted coats. So turning to the community for assistance. I am in the process of co-authoring an article on the conversion for the Company of a Military Historian's publication "Military  Collector & Historian". I realize these coats are not overly common items, but our community is large. Thank you.

IMG_8880.jpg

Hi Dirk,

I just packed away a uniform grouping to a Marine from the mid-late 20s. The roll collar green blouse is dated 1922-1923.  Could that be what you are looking for?  I didn't think to see if it is a conversion.  I have owned other conversions in the past.  Let me know if that might be one.  If so,  I can unpack it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Dirk, a little late in catching up with the forums.  I happen to have a converted tunic, from standing to rolled.  It is named, but looks like they replaced the sleeve lining, so no manufacture marks or date.  You can send a PM to discuss more.  

• 2 weeks later...