USMC Winter Service Dress P-1920 or P-1920 Conversion

Dirk

Looking for anyone in the collecting community that has a Marine Corps Winter Service Dress coat P-1920, in either its original standing collar configuration or more importantly in a roll collar configuration. The P-1920 is the first USMC issued Winter Service pattern coat to have ready made eyelets added to accommodate collar EGAs. They were standing collar coats until the late 1920's when a new roll collar coat (P-1929) was issued. But the Marines being thrifty, had some of the P-1920 coats Depot converted around that time to roll collars. A converted roll collar Winter  Service Dress conversion has recently surfaced and although the Marine Corps Museum has one in their standard reference uniform collection, there is a lack of information out there on these converted coats. So turning to the community for assistance. I am in the process of co-authoring an article on the conversion for the Company of a Military Historian's publication "Military  Collector & Historian". I realize these coats are not overly common items, but our community is large. Thank you. So please check your Quartermaster dates 1919-1928

IMG_8880.jpg

Hi Dirk,

I just packed away a uniform grouping to a Marine from the mid-late 20s. The roll collar green blouse is dated 1922-1923.  Could that be what you are looking for?  I didn't think to see if it is a conversion.  I have owned other conversions in the past.  Let me know if that might be one.  If so,  I can unpack it.

Steve

Steve sounds exactly what I am looking for! Please post some shots to I like the reverse side of the collar and the upper sleeve lining if different....also is it named by chance? These are some details on the one I have...

IMG_4019.PNG

15D6599E-65FB-4D6F-B765-2368401F26A0.jpeg

9B4AA205-600A-4DE6-93A7-622EA3D528B5.jpeg

227957D7-41B0-4A5A-B6E2-F53A30746928.jpeg

Ok, Dirk.  I'll do it later today.  Yes, it's named to a B.E. Scherer, a buck private. The trousers are dated 1918-19.  I also have his blues, and his green and  white covered visors.  The blouse has the original 1922 pattern collar emblems, but I've never removed them because they are screwed on very tight, so I don't think they have ever been off.  If you are doing an article on these things, I'd be happy to lend you the blouse.

Steve

Here are some pictures.  The eyelets are embroidered.  Sleeve linings are the typical white cloth.  Here is an eyelet.  

eyelet.jpg

Here is a picture of the reverse side of the eyelet, and other seams by which you can see this has been altered.  The second picture is the reverse of the collar.  Third picture is one of the two belt hooks.

Steve

reverse of eylet.jpg

reverse of collar.jpg

belt hook.jpg

Steve: thanks!!! Your guy is Benedict E. who was in Nic. My guy was in Tientsin....my guy left the US in 1927 with a standing collar that was most likely converted over there in the summer or fall of 1927. Yours has reenforced eyelets which the corps model does...there’s is stamped 1922. Either way these are rare coats. Would love to include photos of yours as well as now there are three of these out there

A9A3B98A-62D6-4D16-B3FD-0369B7DD2F8A.jpeg

987BCF87-ECCF-41B9-99B0-237A668D125C.jpeg

D70DA001-99FF-4900-B8CB-07BF48591D3F.jpeg

88030292-5273-4656-A40B-DABB83D52446.jpeg

I'm glad I could help.  Yes, Dirk, please feel free to use my  photos.  As I mentioned before, I'll lend you the blouse if you like,  I'll even pay postage from me to you.

Also, thanks for the information on my guy.

(Side note -- now that the forum has updated the  site, it's so much easier to post pictures. )

Steve

Steve a big thanks to you! I am working with a retired senior Marine Museum Curator on this story....so we can pull in the museums resources for the article as well.....I am now taking comparison shots of my uniform with the pix you posted....hopefully just pictures will be sufficient! My sleeve re-lining was most likely done over there as the marine stamped his name on the lining.  My uniform ended up as stock in a  movie costume company.....with no other names stamped in it.  The question is, is our collar reinforcement style universal for the P-1920 (M) or are there difference between field and depot 

Just for the record, in another uniform grouping I have, the green blouse is dated 1927-28, and it is NOT a conversion.

Steve

Steve again thank you! HQ USMC authorized the roll collar in 1926 but it appears they were unable to get enough if them before 1929 so they kept delaying phasing out the Standing collar thru a series of orders. That said I wonder if yours is one of the earliest non converted roll collars? If you have time this week would live to see front back photos and if it's named. 

I'll do that tomorrow.  It's named to Lancaster Lowry.  An outstanding uniform and paper and more grouping, including three of his visors.  Alec published his blues hat in his book.  Lowry was in for about ten years and was a musician.  

Steve

Steve thank you! I am building a series of comparison shots of the construction of these.....here is one based on what you sent me last night with mine. Will talk soon

IMG_4232.JPG