How about this A-2 ?

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all !

Here is an A2 I could buy. But my question mainly is about what should I expect to pay for it ?

Its so beat up looking to me I cant see paying much for it. But these are

a new thing for me. Its got a name written in the lining and a faint serial number according to the seller.

Its missing a patch on the front and well..... Look at it !!!

is it worth anything in this condition...... Because to me it sure doesnt look like it.

If I wanted it, which Im leaning that way, what should I expect to pay for it ?

Thank you.

Rooster

a2.jpg

a2-2.jpg

doinworkinvans

Cuffs replaced, waist still original, tag is still there as well....

Is that a hole above the head on the painting on back?  Leather looks DRYYYYYYYY

But with a partial name and serial number - that could be the ticket.

Get it off that hanger ASAP

......maybe $400 because of possible research and some original paint

Others will weigh in....good luck

The Rooster

It looks like a hole. Its beat to heck and very dry and cracked. Seller says the lining has honest wear.

Thank you for that estimate. Seller is asking a little over 700 which considering how beat it is, I thought  is a bit much.

But these are new to me.

doinworkinvans

I wouldn’t pay that for it, but I’m also a cheap-skate 

I would so get a photo of name on inside as well prior to purchase 

Looks dry for sure but if there's rot on the lower sleeves, back, or shoulders is hard to tell. Leather dryness isn't just a superficial cosmetic condition - it's a reaction. The sleeves aren't laying peacefully together in front just by happenstance. I'll bet there is no knit there at all and maybe leather damage. Replacing any of the knits, zip, anything really, would require turning both the shell and lining inside out typically through a small opening. I would think this act alone would tear up the shell and certainly the liner. I'm sure the zipper isn't functional, if even there, so I guess it depends what you want to do with it. It certainly will never be safe to wear. Doubt anyone would risk replacing the zip, knits, and liner. For display, gooping it up to moisturize it would improve the looks at the risk of potentially shortening its remaining life. Then again with missing waist knit and likely no way to close it, it wouldn't display particularly well. You could display the back but the hole and missing knit half would show pretty well. After all is considered you still have a "low end" example, even though a painted one, that I assume has no provenance. Those never improve - they just languish as low end examples regardless of the market trends. For $300 I MIGHT give it a go(but they would be the ones trying to convince me of the potential value) but $700 should find you a far nicer representative example if you want an A-2. That is unless that particular paint is very important to you.

Sorry for the detail but its just my perspective as if I was offered this jacket.

Dave

4 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Looks dry for sure but if there's rot on the lower sleeves, back, or shoulders is hard to tell. Leather dryness isn't just a superficial cosmetic condition - it's a reaction. The sleeves aren't laying peacefully together in front just by happenstance. I'll bet there is no knit there at all and maybe leather damage. Replacing any of the knits, zip, anything really, would require turning both the shell and lining inside out typically through a small opening. I would think this act alone would tear up the shell and certainly the liner. I'm sure the zipper isn't functional, if even there, so I guess it depends what you want to do with it. It certainly will never be safe to wear. Doubt anyone would risk replacing the zip, knits, and liner. For display, gooping it up to moisturize it would improve the looks at the risk of potentially shortening its remaining life. Then again with missing waist knit and likely no way to close it, it wouldn't display particularly well. You could display the back but the hole and missing knit half would show pretty well. After all is considered you still have a "low end" example, even though a painted one, that I assume has no provenance. Those never improve - they just languish as low end examples regardless of the market trends. For $300 I MIGHT give it a go(but they would be the ones trying to convince me of the potential value) but $700 should find you a far nicer representative example if you want an A-2. That is unless that particular paint is very important to you.

Sorry for the detail but its just my perspective as if I was offered this jacket.

Dave

The pictures are really too limited to draw complete conclusions about the actual condition of the jacket. The OP says the jacket is named so probably researchable. I sold a jacket in worse condition for over $1K at the SOS in Feb because it was named to a P-47 pilot. Were it me, I would get the name and number from the seller and do some quick research to see if something interesting pops up. 

Yep. Good advice. Like I said that's just my perspective, as I stated, "if I were offered this jacket."  I don't buy to resell so my value is based on what I buy to collect and display.   

Dave

The Rooster

Thank you all for the detailed comments.

Its named to a Sgt King.

Seller says serial is there but very faint. Which leads me to wonder why the name is not faint as well ?

I dont own one of these and dont know anything about them but the condition and the subsequent price scares me off.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Frame it as it’s beyond helping $350
Rough but it’s literally rotting as you look at it
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doinworkinvans

Also....that “Sgt” and “King” do not look like same hand writing.

i would wait...$700 will get you a nicer example

phantomfixer

it is a tagged Star...not so common manufacturer A2 with artwork......to an A-2 collector looking for Star....worth the 700...if not looking for a Star contract then pass...

Yeah, the closer pics show this is really damaged. Good news is there is more of a zip and waist on the jacket. A ton of product and a bust for display only.

Star may have been the contract that had some weak hides - can't remember but one is known for that. As mentioned, there are A-2s out there in much better condition for $700.

It clicks a lot of boxes (size, contractor, art, poss.name) but unfortunately the condition will not improve with time.

Dave

Greetings,

I agree with Owen.  I stopped looking at the pictures as I thought that would even cause it to degrade further.  It's a shame to see these die on the vine but "if it were offered" I would respectfully decline.

Best,

Peter

I agree that the condition of the hide leaves a lot to be desired and the missing patch hurts it. On the plus side though, it is a rare maker, has its original knits and zipper and some pretty nice art on the back. I've bought and sold quite a few of these and the pricing can vary a lot. The painted examples, especially those w/ pin up art like this one typically command a premium. Naming also bumps the price up. People buy these for a variety of reasons and they are really pieces of folk art. Condition isn't always the driving factor. The fighter pilot example I mentioned above was in much worse condition overall and I sold it to a dealer for over $1K. He presumably resold it for more. If you are looking for a nice example to add to your militaria collection though, I would pass on it.