I.D.Disc G.A.Badger Co.D 29th Mass.

skypilot6670

01653B3D-E372-4470-A326-9B6E2D63CEDD.jpeg.100f85cc1818aeec42df2f6cf3e89be4.jpegE97DC125-A69E-414D-99C8-7D26974C65A5.jpeg.011fa6dc62b04057d0318551eb91577d.jpegT

This I.D.Disc is made from a soft white metal ( pot metal ?) the obverse shows Washington’s bust and birth date. The reverse is stamped “G.A.Badger , Co. D , 29th Regt. , Mass. Vol. , Sandwich Mass. “

Gus Badger was a 29 year old boot maker when he enlisted on May 18th 1861. Here’s why I really like this disc. Badger was present with the 29th at Newport News Va. and witnessed the naval battle between the CSS Virginia and the USS Congress and the USS Cumberland , on March 8th 1862 . On the following day he would have witnessed the battle between the CSS Virginia and the USS Monitor. Both days battles are listed in the battle honors for the 29th Mass. Not very many army units get to list naval battle honors.

There are detailed descriptions of the battle and the land units part in the battle at “The U.S. Monitor Center “ web site and museum.A brief  description follows ,
    “Commodore Buchanan commanding the Virginia , enraged that the surrendered Congress’ and shore batteries and rifle fire (the 29th) continued to fire rushed up to the Virginia’s exposed upper casement deck , ordered hot shot fired on the Congress to set it ablaze and was injured by enemy musket fire. “

USCapturephotos

Another great disc with a lot of history. Many of that style were pewter I believe. The dug pewter discs usually don't fare so well in the ground conditions so it is awesome so see a non-dug example in such great shape.

Thanks as always for sharing.

Paul

skypilot6670

Hey Paul thanks for commenting. I was thinking maybe pewter. 
       Looking over the unit history this evening I discovered the 29th was part of the “Irish Brigade” . Badger would have served with them thru the , “Seven Days Battle “ . He was then hospitalized on the peninsula and was discharged disabled on March 14 , 1863. The remainder of the 29th stayed with the Irish Brigade thru Antietam .  They were then transferred to the 9th Corps.  Mike

M24 Chaffee

Excellent badge! Having the history of that soldier and the badge he wore at those historic events is exciting and chilling!

Frank

skypilot6670

Frank and Mike thanks for the kind comments. Having others appreciate these pieces makes them a little more special. At one point I was collecting K.I.A.pieces , l think of them as my very best because the soldiers  paid the ultimate price. I’ll start posting some of my better ones in the days to come. Thanks again Mike