Are people really buying into this camo helmet

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Some great comments so far by lots of members which is a good thing. 

nice to hear everyone chime in 

The Rooster

Yes Dean,

You can see there and really look closely that gray dusty ring ends where ever the green paint is. applied.

It goes over the dust ring.

That dusty line should go all the way around but i doesnt because its been overpainted with bright green.

If it was real, that dusty chalky dust line would go from the dark green and continue over the bright green but

looking at the pics it does not. The bright green covers it and then it picks up again where the bright green paint is not.

Making me think the bright green was painted recently. It looks too fresh to begin with and without that dust line

continuing across the bright green, I'd say its faked.

Wouldn't someone applying paint at least brush the dust back? Strange indeed as they did an otherwise reasonable job. Too reasonable and neat for theater applied. Perhaps the dust didn't stay adhered to the camo-painted part? Just playing devil's advocate. Is this supposed to represent the color dessicant paint fades to? Thought it was more yellow. I suppose this is where looking at it in person would help - the dust anyway.

Dave(the other one)

huntssurplus
9 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Hunt, I should also point out there is a distinct difference between yelling “fake” and saying, “need more proof to confirm”.  IMO that grey area in between is called risk. 

Dave

Dave,

I did not intend to make it seem like your opinion is not valid in any way. This is a public forum, and all opinions, when it comes to militaria, are welcome and to be respected. 

Honestly, I think that as long as a helmet is properly described with there being doubts from experienced collectors, historians, etc as to it's authenticity, that as long as that is easily and clearly displayed alongside the sale, then it doesn't matter as much if it sells for 5k etc. Like you said the "real to you" sentiment is important for the buyer to have when purchasing a helmet that has its authenticity subject to question. Like you said, there is risk involved there, and until some sort of easily accessible tests come out that can determine age of paint and when it was applied, with provenance it's hard to ever be fully sure, and that is part of the risk of collecting. 

Also, you secondary statement of difference of yelling "fake" and "need more proof to confirm" is also valid, and something in which I agree with. There are often times claims of many items being fake without explanation given, and that can be very detrimental. But sometimes thinking something is fake comes down to an indescribable gut feeling that comes only with experience. When given the opinion of the most experienced collectors who have seen the most real helmets, sometimes that inclination is all they have to prove something. It's hard to place that with much more proof then "the paint color is off" or "the way it is brushed on is just a little wrong". Obviously there can be many variations when it comes to personally painted helmets, but there is always just that look of originality that a fraud can never fully capture. 

So in conclusion, I'd say that all helmets without absolute solid provenance, or irrefutable evidence, have some risk to it. And maybe when it comes to taking risks with collecting, I'm someone who much prefers staying safe then risking it all. Everyone is different in their risk tolerance. But it is best for all helmets to have a certain amount of scrutiny placed upon them to ensure that we do not fall into another situation of blindly following the person with the most painted airborne helmets.

Hunt

BILL THE PATCH

It sought of looks like mine, back a few years ago when I had the helmet bug. I rescued a fixed loop that was being used as a flower pot. Had a big hole punched in the bottom to drain water. Had chains attached to the loops. I fixed the hole with a piece of steel punched in around it and a little jb weld. Cannot tell from the outside it even has a hole. It was a mess I sanded it down repainted it and corked it. Always wanted a fresh looking PTO lid. They look like relatives. e3e05bf7e1a17440bb8ea4225eeffc38.jpg480d69aa234ba7c636a4601d5ada9142.jpgec44b90d07f232b6d11c84494aac5029.jpg8f5e557fe0e6bbaf3c578ea5e23266bc.jpgebec66f831368a4fb4cf579e35f96493.jpg339dc557efc1cc58872967778973165d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

huntssurplus

They do look very similar. I think the biggest point would be the paint on yours covering the stainless steel rim, really makes a new helmet look... new.

Hunt

BILL THE PATCH

It's ugly as sin, I have a j Murray liner around somewhere I'll pair it up. Maybe get some green and just make itbod

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

I like your repro, thats good enough for me , with some age /  dust it will make a nice shelf display , they originally would have looked fresh back then, maybe add a large cargo type net with some foilage