Are people really buying into this camo helmet

ArchangelDM

I can honestly say that this is the most accurate example of what a reenactors helmet should look like. One in which 99% of non-collectors will think it looks cool and where 99% of helmet collectors will recognize that it is not the real deal. Kudos to the artist,  he really did make it look fake. And yes, I am being sarcastic.

i feel people might be convinced unfortunately at the sight of a hawley liner in it. being paired with a high dollar liner may sway people to suspend their disbelief 

ArchangelDM

Listed under original of course ! And with a line or two of dialogue That could lead the unsuspecting buyer into thinking “this guy doesn’t know what he’s got” 

already at nearly 600 ! And days to go Someone’s buying into it. 

shame ! 

ArchangelDM

Dialogue from seller 

Superb helmet. Green pee camo on the shell.

The shell retain 95% of paint. 

Liner in good condistion some tears on the front and the rear. The leather chinstrap and the neckband are missing.

Shell number is 42C 3.

More pictures on demand.

Free worldwilde shipping.

as a side note he’s also selling a rather nice sea master watch at nearly 3k 

maybe people think because he has a nice   expensive watch the helmet is legit as he’s a high roller 

speculation on my part but could play on the unsuspecting buyers 

Nickman983

What is the liner by itself worth? I know I've seen nice Hawley liners sell for crazy amounts on eBay in the past.

ArchangelDM
2 minutes ago, Nickman983 said:

What is the liner by itself worth? I know I've seen nice Hawley liners sell for crazy amounts on eBay in the past.

1st pattern with broken chinstrap I would say 2-300 on a good day 

it’s way past that now 

The Rooster

ArchangelDM

Maybe people really don’t know this is not original 

The other day I sold a WW2 Front Seam with a WW2 Liner

and the guy at first was writing me asking me.... How do you know its a real ww2 lid?

I explained it all. He was new on ebay too.

and it was 200 bucks.

The person who won this lid, has a high number next to their name.......of purchases and or sales. Been on ebay a while prob.

I dont get it . Because the cammo looks fresh and fake.

I kind of liked it, of course i would love to inspect it in hand under magnification but i saw some age to the green camo along the bottom edge in a few pics that made me not hate it....someone might have got a bargain....mike

ArchangelDM
4 hours ago, sgtdorango said:

I kind of liked it, of course i would love to inspect it in hand under magnification but i saw some age to the green camo along the bottom edge in a few pics that made me not hate it....someone might have got a bargain....mike

I hope that’s the case - either that or wear Sunglasses when handling it because it’s as bright as a button Mike 

5 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

I hope that’s the case - either that or wear Sunglasses when handling it because it’s as bright as a button Mike 

I agree it looks bright and fresh in the pics but sometimes painted helmets are very hard to photograph and some ebay sellers dont try too hard like we do when taking pics of our favorite helmets.....mike

ArchangelDM
23 minutes ago, sgtdorango said:

I agree it looks bright and fresh in the pics but sometimes painted helmets are very hard to photograph and some ebay sellers dont try too hard like we do when taking pics of our favorite helmets.....mike

Hi Mike

That may be the case but that paint is fresh, That has absolutely zero age to it in my opinion. The helmet shows absolutely no wear on any of the rim, you could say that this was painted and the guy left the war immediately, never served a day in it and  put it in a sealed bag and looked after it for the last eighty years but I do not think that’s the case. There is also no flash present in the photos so it’s brightness is its brightness. 

The next problem for me is the way the paints been applied, almost looks like a very Thin Art brush has been used. 

The painted examples I have have all been put on with thicker brushes, now that may not be the case with every helmet but this looks contrived. Even slightly going over its own pattern to make out it’s sloppy. 

I’ll post mine with a similar camo

also with regards to wear you saw under the rim it could suggest slight storage wear and when painted has shown through. 

I think in hand this would be as disappointing as the photos. 

IMHO this was a well stored fixed bail with hawley that someone’s turned into some pea green nightmare for the extra. 

the 80 plus years wear just ain’t there 

ArchangelDM

Purely to show a correct example with a bright camo pattern. 

third picture shows the brush strokes and all pictures show correct ageing for a used combat helmet. 

Not all Helmets Are combat used examples, but even rear echelon helmets with paint and insignia will show use and age as the paint dulls and time takes it toll. 

the sun and the environment even if used stateside would have dulled it down. 

F451542C-1A98-49EB-8CD8-4E6C26D04C9E.jpeg

00474ED9-79BC-4BD7-AB41-0D26201D6E3D.jpeg

F47014C4-66F3-4A5E-A2AA-0E62845FABDA.jpeg

Jim McCauley

I agree with most of the assessments made. My only hesitation is that we are basing our opinions on pictures. I've found a hands on inspection can sometimes change ones mind.  (That actually works both ways.)

Sometimes.

Regards.

Jim