Good Conduct Medal Engraving Question

Daytonian777

Daytonian777

I was wondering, does the engraving on this Army Good Conduct Medal look contemporary to the WWII era or more recent? It appears done by hand, but I am by no means very experienced (unlike some forum members) regarding engraving. Also, is this official or privately engraved? Thank you in advance for any responses! 😀

GCM.jpg

Bruce Linz

Hello,

That is an great example of a hand engraved Good Conduct medal.  I would say it was engraved immediately after World War II ended.  The Army had these good conduct medals available at most separation centers to issue to discharged veterans.  The medal came with instructions on where to send them to have them engraved.  Many small companies provided engraving services, hence the wide variations in the engraving styles on these medals.  Remember the Army had over 8,000,000 people in it and almost all of them met the war time requirement of one year of service to earn this medal.  Thanks for showing your medal.

Here is link to a thread about Named Army Good Conduct Medals.

Daytonian777

Thank you for the response, Bruce! I really appreciate the insight about the GCMs. I was asking because I was watching this on an auction site, but was outbid. According to NARA, It was awarded to a USAAF Staff Sergeant from Chicago for service during WWII.