"CG" liner - Coast Guard?

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

I bought this liner a few months ago and didn't really take a super close look at it until this weekend.  Other than the obvious yellow with black outline "CG" on the front, under the black paint is a more block-lettered "CG", a band around the perimeter, and a circle on the side.  I'm fairly certain this is a Coast Guard helmet liner, but not sure as to what era.  Any comments would be appreciated.

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0415.JPG

Powerhouse

It could mean "civil guard". Civil guards employed by the US army to secure military installations.

GeneralCheese

Thanks.  Cool picture, that is definitely a good possibility, the only thing still drawing me towards Coast Guard is the blue paint and sheer number of repaints, like you'd see on a shipboard helmet.

Most time that I see helmets or other gear marked with Navy of Coast Guard lettering, the lettering is preceded by "US", as in "USN" of "USCG".

Just a thought.  

I believe this is a well-used Civilian Guard helmet of the Labor Service in postwar Europe.  The painted helmet liners ranged from black to white and blue as well--yours appears to have all.  Am I seeing the outline of a stripe? I like it very much!

GeneralCheese
1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

I believe this is a well-used Civilian Guard helmet of the Labor Service in postwar Europe.  The painted helmet liners ranged from black to white and blue as well--yours appears to have all.  Am I seeing the outline of a stripe? I like it very much!

Yes you are seeing a stripe.  Do you know any good reading on the Civilian Guard?  I' haven't been able to find a whole lot googling.

• 4 weeks later...