Is This Mk2 USMC Camillus Fighting Knife WW2 Period?

EBS

If anyone could please let me know if this knife is ww2 period that would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure it is late ww2 but these aren't exactly my specialty. The curved guard looks correct, but I've been wrong about these more than once. Sorry for the awful pictures by the way. The blade is in ok condition, but I think the handle and one side of the sheath have been treated at some point, which isn't a deal breaker, but is a bit of a bummer. 

Any feedback is good feedback and thanks a TON in advance! IMG_1044.jpeg.c807651b0a77368fd4a3b2cdd8a69fc3.jpegIMG_1043.jpeg.a58d33060a08a33d759420134a7e8e05.jpegIMG_1045.jpeg.7c20b3cf8a7a962fc16fbe272a037ae0.jpeg

Doctorofwar

Yes it is WW2 period.  This variation was the last Camillus made USMC marked version made in WW2. 

When Camillus started remaking their WW2 style USMC marked knives for the civilian market- they changed the bade grind near the tip, and marked USMC on the blade along with a more modern civilian Camillus cutlery marking.  

Doctorofwar

Here is a modern repro Camillus USMC knife, aside from the never military issued, modern embossed sheath, notice the more abrupt grind of the blade clip point.  This repro has Camillus NY on the blade similar to the WW2 marking, but others had the more modern civilian 2 line Camillus Cutlery marking.  Although Camillus made blade marked USMC knives in WW2 prior to your guard marked version- they had “Camillus, N.Y.” On the blade and the same longer clipped blade profile that yours has.  All but the earliest (and exceedingly rare) Camillus made USMC marked 1219c2 pattern knives made in WW2 had a thin pinned on pommel like yours does.  

30781EB1-8B70-493B-8D43-7362FD105CEB.jpeg

There are a few things to be aware of concerning the Camillus reproduction of the U.S.M.C. marked knife.

The top knife is a WW2 example of Camillus's 5684 stock number knife.  They used this part number internally from WW2 until the company was auctioned off in 2007.

The bottom knife is stock number 5685, the knife marked U.S.M.C. on the blade.  From this picture it's clear to see the the newer style scalloped grind on the bottom knife.  This makes it easier to spot the reproduction from the WW2 versions.

1980834131_WW2andreproCamillusU.S.M.C..jpg.6d02b261cbaad41689684336ca9d50e0.jpg

Until you run across one of these.

976576367_Camillusreprowithoriginalbladegrind.jpg.b0dcd55347f7801797a324afdad1f1e3.jpg

I've had my hands on three different examples of reproductions with this more traditional grind.  At this point you really want to know what to look for on the blade markings. 

Doctorofwar

Sactroop,

Are you aware when the reproductions with the more traditional grind were made?  I have never come across one and I have several factory catalogs from the 1990s that all show the newer scalloped grind.  

You're welcome.  I'd encourage people new to this forum to explore the search tools available.  There are a lot of old threads here with lots of great information on different knives.  Also when it comes to U.S. Military knives Frank Trzaska's ( U.S. Military Knives) web page is loaded with gems.  I especially encourage people to open his "Knife Knotes archived index" to explore the postings he's made over the years.  You can employe the "Find" function and enter key words to search for things by subject and it really can pay off.

OBTW, Frank if you happen across this post, I really enjoyed your May 2020 Knife Knotes posting.  That's right folks, this shelter in place junk does have at least some perks.

Doc, The earliest evidence I've seen for the reproduction knife is from a 1992 price list.  It's a little funny, the stock number and description is in the 1992,1993, and 1994 price lists I've been able to look over. Yet I don't see the knife in the two earlier catalogs, not until 1994. I think that just shows that catalogs and price sheets won't necessarily tell you everything you might want to know. I'm sure they made the knife from at least 1992 until the factory closed.  I used to assume that the earlier style grind would represent the earlier production, but I'm less confident of that assumption today.  There are too many possible assumptions available for ,what happened when, for me to throw out an opinion based on speculation.

I agree with you on what I've seen in the catalogs that are available, but as you know there sure are gaps between many of those catalogs. 

FYI, Tom Williams, (Camillus's official company historian), told me some years ago that MGM bought a quantity of these reproduction knives to use in the making of the movie "Windtalkers" that came out in 2002.

Doctorofwar

I’ll have to watch Windtalkers again to spot the Camillus knives!  
Thanks for the info, I know for a fact that they made the scallop grind reproductions right up until they closed their doors because I saw boxes of new ones, sans sheaths on the factory floor during the auction in 2007.  Every time you think you have something nailed down an anomaly pops up, but I guess that’s half the fun. 

Ah Windtalkers - that always brings a smile to my face.  Nobody in that movie died of an artillery round hit  - they died of the massive fireball that accompanied them. But then again if it was on right now I'd watch it - I'm that tired of all the current stuff going on.