DSC Recipients Database

Foxfall

Have a Distinguished Service Cross name you want to check? Go to dscdatabase.com

This site lists virtually all known DSC recipients along with supplemental information (when available). If you corrections or additions, the site provide a way to let us know. If you have a DSC recipient who is not listed, please note you must identify the awarding General Order before the name can be added. 

CNY Militaria

A great resource for sure! I was not aware of this site, but it will be very helpful. Thanks for sharing it. 

• 2 weeks later...
MMcollector

I have a Distinguished Service Cross that was issued to 1st Lt. Clyd P. Sullivan. It was an upgraded award from the SS citation. General Order #243 10-10-1945.  This DSC is not on the website.  

4835FD0C-3B01-484C-8CD3-DA85345D18BD.jpeg

MMcollector

His file was burned in the Archives fire, Geoff of GoldenArrow Research got a partial file. This pay sheet shows the DSC.

142DA0F9-724D-4D87-93EA-EBDBD59F5D31.jpeg

Whoah, as a recepient of a DSC, do you get extra pay? 

I know that for a MoH you get it. But a DSC?

Thinking it through, are there more US medals which gives you an allowance?

I don't want to hijack this thread, bus this is an interesting twist.

Regards 

Herman 

On 6/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, CNY Militaria said:

No, the only medal that results in a stipend is the MOH. 

Ah, great. Thanks

Thank you for providing the information on Sullivan - I look forward to this kind of additional information.

Can you post an image of the entire General Orders No. 243 of 10-1045? Looks like Sullivan is not the only person to be awarded the DSC under that GO. If you can't post an image of the whole GO, can you identify the source that issued the General Order? Many thanx!

MMcollector
4 hours ago, Foxfall said:

Thank you for providing the information on Sullivan - I look forward to this kind of additional information.

Can you post an image of the entire General Orders No. 243 of 10-1045? Looks like Sullivan is not the only person to be awarded the DSC under that GO. If you can't post an image of the whole GO, can you identify the source that issued the General Order? Many thanx!

the GO is for the Silver Star. There is no mention of a SS in his file.  And only the 1 mention of the DSC as posted above.  

F6A67F22-DCF0-4586-89D8-F3B77CAF24EE.jpeg

Thank you posting the GO. Now it's clear that his DSC was upgraded from the Silver Star awarded under GO 243.  I'll see if I can chase down the GO that upgraded the Silver Star to the DSC. When I find it, I will post it here. Again, thanks for a great job!

He is not on the WWII Distinguished Service Cross list maintained by the DOD. https://valor.defense.gov/Recipients/Army-Distinguished-Service-Cross-Recipients/

On 6/20/2020 at 2:58 AM, Hermanus said:

Whoah, as a recepient of a DSC, do you get extra pay? 

I know that for a MoH you get it. But a DSC?

Thinking it through, are there more US medals which gives you an allowance?

I don't want to hijack this thread, bus this is an interesting twist.

Regards 

Herman 

To be clear, the only decoration that currently involves a stipend is the MoH.  However, when congress authorized the DSC and DSM for the army in July 1918, the law contained a provision that provided for each enlisted man to receive an additional $2 per month beginning from the date of the act or service.  I do not have the reference to quote but the navy had the same stipend for its NC and DSM.

When the NMCM was authorized in August 1942 enlisted recipients were also granted a $2 monthly stipend for acts subsequent to 6 Dec 1941.  Again, I do not have available a reference to cite, but I believe the SM also carried a $2 monthly stipend.

Public Law 351 dated 12 Oct 1949 abolished all monthly stipends  with the exception of the MoH.

Thanks FFZFlyer,  great info.

Considering the numbers issued in WW2 to enlisted personell, a large monthly stipend was cancelled in 1949 by the Government. 

Regards

Herman 

MMcollector
On 6/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, Foxfall said:

Thank you posting the GO. Now it's clear that his DSC was upgraded from the Silver Star awarded under GO 243.  I'll see if I can chase down the GO that upgraded the Silver Star to the DSC. When I find it, I will post it here. Again, thanks for a great job!

Here is the Silver Star card from the AAF award cards from the National Archives.  I could not find the card for his Distinguished Service Cross. 

9DBD8B12-F20B-4E31-BB55-31F366C3A19E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...