Post WWII shell chinstrap buckle markings

akriener

Hi everyone, someone on Reddit's Militaria Collecting page was asking about their M-1. They have a post war shell chin strap and there is an anchor mark on the buckle. They were wondering if it has any significance related to the navy or a manufacturing mark. I know the navy used gray painted M-1's during the war but I don't know if that practice continued post war so I was speculating it was just a maker mark for a post war strap. I can post a photo if desired but it's really just an anchor mark on the buckle. Thanks!

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The anchor is North & Judd logo, I have heard that when they merged with Gulf & Western they stopped using it but have not seen any proof of it. That merger was 12 July 1967 but I have also heard of boxes of replacement chinstraps with a Fiscal Year 1969 contract that had anchor marks. Either those were old stock buckles, or they continued using it, either one seems equally possible. No idea where to even begin searching for the answer.

The Rooster

The anchor causes some humor too as some people think it means the helmet is a navy helmet.

Ive seen some helmets on ebay described as navy helmets because of the little anchor...

The anchor causes some humor too as some people think it means the helmet is a navy helmet.
Ive seen some helmets on ebay described as navy helmets because of the little anchor...

He thought exactly that originally ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim McCauley

The anchor marking is found on green buckle, WWII chin strap buckles also. I believe there are several posted to this forum.

The anchor marking is found on green buckle, WWII chin strap buckles also. I believe there are several posted to this forum.

His was definitely post war because of the metal used to attach to the shell loops instead of being sewn on, but that's good to know as well

Nickman983

Just for clarification, the markings Jim is referring to are found on the liner chinstrap buckles. As far as I'm aware there are no manufacturing marks on WWII helmet chinstrap hardware.

As mentioned earlier, the anchor just indicates it was North & Judd manufactured. You can find the anchor on some green buckle liner chinstraps, post war blackened steel buckle liner chinstraps, post war helmet buckles, and I believe on the crimps used to attach chinstraps post war.