3 hours ago, Namcollector said:

It just says sgt. I found that obit to. I found out when he enlisted by a friend using ancestry.com

If this is the Matthew E. Kinlaw in the OBIT, then there's something amiss with the dates you got for his time in service, I pretty much convinced this is the Kinlaw despite it saying Vietnam, that could be a error and should of said Korean War, as he was born in 1928, this would bring him into the Army as a Enlistee in the Korean War period by virtue of the RA Prefix in his Serial Number, this when the 8th Infantry division was indeed still a training division at Jackson.

Note Sgt as his Grade, but with the rank decal of Staff Sergeant, remember when I said the Grade structure was changed in 1948 eliminating the Grade of Staff Sergeant? This is what occurred, the Grade was eliminated,  Sergeants or Buck Sergeants Three Chevrons were abolished and the new Grade of Sergeant E-5 for whatever reason now wore the Grade Rank Insignia of Staff Sergeant. If he was a Staff Sergeant in either 1960 by the dates you have or in 1969, it should read S/Sgt.

A Grade/Rank Chart WWII-Vietnam (See period 1948 to 1959 E-5, no more Buck Sergeants.

image.png.9d8eacb6a1b103f4f996dd9fe7575085.png

1 hour ago, patches said:

If this is the Matthew E. Kinlaw in the OBIT, then there's something amiss with the dates you got for his time in service, I pretty much convinced this is the Kinlaw despite it saying Vietnam, that could be a error and should of said Korean War, as he was born in 1928, this would bring him into the Army as a Enlistee in the Korean War period by virtue of the RA Prefix in his Serial Number, this when the 8th Infantry division was indeed still a training division at Jackson.

Note Sgt as his Grade, but with the rank decal of Staff Sergeant, remember when I said the Grade structure was changed in 1948 eliminating the Grade of Staff Sergeant? This is what occurred, the Grade was eliminated,  Sergeants or Buck Sergeants Three Chevrons were abolished and the new Grade of Sergeant E-5 for whatever reason now wore the Grade Rank Insignia of Staff Sergeant. If he was a Staff Sergeant in either 1960 by the dates you have or in 1969, it should read S/Sgt.

A Grade/Rank Chart WWII-Vietnam (See period 1948 to 1959 E-5, no more Buck Sergeants.

image.png.9d8eacb6a1b103f4f996dd9fe7575085.png

I knew i had a date wrong lol. Let's keep digging! Anything else you need to know?

17 minutes ago, patches said:

Do you still have the info on him that your friend looked up for you?

Unfortunately. No. He told me about a year ago and it was over a phone call. Sometimes I wanna bite the bullet and pay for a ancestry membership

4 hours ago, Namcollector said:

Unfortunately. No. He told me about a year ago and it was over a phone call. Sometimes I wanna bite the bullet and pay for a ancestry membership

You can get a 7 day free trial at Fold3 that will enable you to look up service members. link: https://www.fold3.com/

I signed up for the 7 day trial and was able to get info on 4 searches at no cost:

1.) I acquired a WWII issue M1 fixed bail with Hawley liner via an estate sale here in San Diego. The name "F. Hewitt (j.g.)" is written on the sweatband. Results:

Lieutenant Fred E. Hewitt, Service Number 160875, served aboard the USS Shamrock Bay (CVE-84) during WWII. LT. Fred E. Hewitt is buried in San Diego, his name and rank are listed on the ship's muster record
USS Shamrock Bay (CVE-84) Service record: Part of: United States Pacific Fleet (1944–1946)
Operations: Philippines campaign, Invasion of Iwo Jima, Battle of Okinawa, Operation Magic Carpet
Awards: 3 Battle stars

2.) I acquired an unissued sea bag, in OD3, marked: C.J. Cansdelle, USMC, 326081. Results:

Name: Carrol J. Cansdelle

Branch of Service: US Marine Corps
Service Number: 326081
Military Occupational Specialty: 6619, Aircraft Navigations Systems Technician, Radar

WWII: TSGT Cansdelle served with VMF 112. Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 112 (Wolfpack). Activated at San Diego, California on March 1, 1942.

Deploying shortly after to Henderson Field on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands in their Grumman F4F Wildcats, the Wolfpack joined the Cactus Air Force with Marine Aircraft Group 11. In recognition of its valor and its contributions to victory during its service on Guadalcanal, VMF-112 was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (US) for August 7 – December 9, 1942.

Korea: 1950, TSGT Cansdelle served with VMO-6. VMO-6 arrived in Jinhae, Korea on August 2, 1950. VMO-6 immediately began to fly during the Battle of Pusan Perimeter becoming the first helicopter squadron in the Marine Corps to participate in combat operations.

3). Located my mother's uncle, US Army, served during WWII: 10 Nov 1942 to 23 Oct 1945.

4.) Located an uncle, US Army, served during WWII: 17 Mar 1942 to 23 Oct 1945

1 hour ago, Gary Ziegler said:

You can get a 7 day free trial at Fold3 that will enable you to look up service members. link: https://www.fold3.com/

I signed up for the 7 day trial and was able to get info on 4 searches at no cost:

1.) I acquired a WWII issue M1 fixed bail with Hawley liner via an estate sale here in San Diego. The name "F. Hewitt (j.g.)" is written on the sweatband. Results:

Lieutenant Fred E. Hewitt, Service Number 160875, served aboard the USS Shamrock Bay (CVE-84) during WWII. LT. Fred E. Hewitt is buried in San Diego, his name and rank are listed on the ship's muster record
USS Shamrock Bay (CVE-84) Service record: Part of: United States Pacific Fleet (1944–1946)
Operations: Philippines campaign, Invasion of Iwo Jima, Battle of Okinawa, Operation Magic Carpet
Awards: 3 Battle stars

2.) I acquired an unissued sea bag, in OD3, marked: C.J. Cansdelle, USMC, 326081. Results:

Name: Carrol J. Cansdelle

Branch of Service: US Marine Corps
Service Number: 326081
Military Occupational Specialty: 6619, Aircraft Navigations Systems Technician, Radar

WWII: TSGT Cansdelle served with VMF 112. Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 112 (Wolfpack). Activated at San Diego, California on March 1, 1942.

Deploying shortly after to Henderson Field on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands in their Grumman F4F Wildcats, the Wolfpack joined the Cactus Air Force with Marine Aircraft Group 11. In recognition of its valor and its contributions to victory during its service on Guadalcanal, VMF-112 was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (US) for August 7 – December 9, 1942.

Korea: 1950, TSGT Cansdelle served with VMO-6. VMO-6 arrived in Jinhae, Korea on August 2, 1950. VMO-6 immediately began to fly during the Battle of Pusan Perimeter becoming the first helicopter squadron in the Marine Corps to participate in combat operations.

3). Located my mother's uncle, US Army, served during WWII: 10 Nov 1942 to 23 Oct 1945.

4.) Located an uncle, US Army, served during WWII: 17 Mar 1942 to 23 Oct 1945

Wow! Your collection is incredible my friend!! I Will definetly use it. If you wanna contact me in a easier fashion I run a instagram account where i post historical photos about the vietnam war. The name of the account is "collect_vietnam_war" thanks for your help. I really mean it. I hope we can become good friends!