Ike: Countdown to D-Day

stratasfan

stratasfan

Of course, "The Longest Day" is one of the most amazing D-Day films, but the film that has really almost taken first place in my mind for D-Day is the not-so-well-known A&E film, "Ike: Countdown to D-Day". This stars Tom Selleck, and while only 90 minutes long and no epic . . . it is one of those moving, amazing films. For any interested in WWII, Eisenhower or D-Day - this is a definite must-see! No battle, this film details what it took to make D-Day happen. I can't even begin to give some amazing quotes! Too many! The first scene is totally amazing alone. After Eisenhower sees General Miller. The final minutes. Really a fabulous film, with a fabulous performance by Mr. Selleck!  If you haven't seen it, today is a GREAT day to give it a try! And it isn't an expensive film, either! I really recommend giving it a try! And if you've seen it . . . watch it again!

"Too many of them are now with God. We may never see their like again. We may never see their like again."

Ike_Countdown_to_D-Day.jpg

• 9 months later...

Just having to post about this again! I had this running while I was painting and I am always so impressed. A small, rather short movie for a war film, and not one battle actually seen. However, this packs a punch and is so amazing! The quotable lines are so many, I've filled a double-sided page! If you haven't tried this . . . give it a shot! 

"It's not about power. It is simply the judicious use of the responsibility you entrusted me with.”

One of my favorite bits is after he has to send General Miller home. It is kind of long and I haven't typed it up yet, but here is a video, and it is the last scene:

• 2 weeks later...

When this first was coming out, I had my doubts about Selleck playing Ike.  But thought he did a really great job.  I liked it.  The one thing that torqued me off was towards the end, when Ike went to talk to the 101st guys, they put British leggings on him!!!! First off, he wasn't wearing any...but British? Really?

IKE.jpg

Ike2.jpg

Brian Keith

It's been quite a while since I've seen it, but it is a good movie. Dumb stuff always creeps into productions. My wife really dislikes when I point out things like 29navy did, sometimes I just can't help it!
BKW