WWII USMC Uniform Naming

Hello!

I’m wondering if anyone knows how common handwriting a name inside a WWII Marine Corps uniform is. I see quite a few of these pop up, and very few would seem to be added to enhance the value, as they’re common enlisted Marine’s names. 
They seem to be real, but I’ve always been suspicious just because it’s not a name stamp, like you also commonly see. 
Is there any need for concern when it comes to handwritten names in WWII Marine Corps uniforms?  Should they be given as much weight as a stamped name when it comes to determining authenticity?

They’re written in pen or marker, and always seem to be written in the sleeve, the “correct” spot for IDing a uniform from what I’ve been told. 

I’ve attached some screenshots taken from various ebay listings to provide some examples. My apologies if anybody’s items are included without their consent. I grabbed photos from a few listings I could find easily. 

Thank you! 

31393235-FAC6-4391-9407-E24B6529D361.jpeg

15647420-4431-4F03-B320-8BAD5F85CC1A.jpeg

AC3031D4-037D-4BDF-B78A-40F607764355.jpeg

75697738-A9AA-4BA9-9FA4-0346F02BCB8A.jpeg

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Always looking for items from these men (family members):
Even if not to buy, to know where they are would be great.
Cornelius Doherty - 108th Field Artillery, Pennsylvania NG, WWI Joseph A. Doherty - 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ID. KIA March 3, 1944.
Harry Riley - 62nd Armored Field Artillery Bn, Died August 13, 1944. Robert Lester Mahler - I/3/24, 4th Marine Div. WIA March 8, 1945.
Thomas R. Riley - USAAF Joshua L. Doherty - With a Seabee Unit, I believe.
Ens. Alex A. Gorski, USNR - Died as a POW, January 28, 1945. Capt. Henry Gorski, USN (ret.)
Remembering their service and sacrifice.

Not unusual at all for the name to be handwritten

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

I think if the uniform was initial issue, like from Boot Camp, they were usually stamped but if issued later, they were handwritten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve B in Alabama.....Roll Tide

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

About half my uniforms both Army and USMC have handwritten names in them. Most of the time I see USMC uniforms stamped then crossed out and handwritten done after. I think it’s pretty common and don’t see it as too much of an issue unless there are also other red flags with the uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kyle-

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2020.gif

I have seen the Wyatt uniform and had a little concern with it only because it is in blue ink and I remember seeing a conversation on the forum regarding when blue pens were first used.  I cant remember the outcome of the thread as to whether blue ink was period or not but I don't think I have noticed this color ink in another Marine uniform. 

donation2019.gif

Definitely a mixed bag of stamped and hand written, I shy away from colors other than black with marker but even then have to be careful. There are a few guys out there using newer stamp kits like the one I received at MCRD SD boot camp and marking uniforms, these are pretty obvious to me and larger letters and outline.

Robin-

I Collect USMC WWII uniforms, gear, patches, insignia. medals and ribbons. I also sell and trade Militaria of primarily the U.S. Military.

R.Delaney

Semper Fidelis-

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated. 

Cornelius Doherty - 108th Field Artillery, Pennsylvania NG, WWI Joseph A. Doherty - 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ID. KIA March 3, 1944.
Harry Riley - 62nd Armored Field Artillery Bn, Died August 13, 1944. Robert Lester Mahler - I/3/24, 4th Marine Div. WIA March 8, 1945.
Ens. Alex A. Gorski, USNR - Died as a POW, January 28, 1945. Capt. Henry Gorski, USN (ret.)

Any other opinions on blue vs. black ink? I also see black more often than blue, but does it affect legitimacy?

I looked for the mentioned thread and didn’t find much. 

I looked and couldn't find the thread again either, but from what I remember I think the argument was over a specific uniform and that the type and color of the pen was not around in ww2. I could be misremembering the thread, however its still unusual that you don't see many names written in uniforms using blue ink. 

donation2019.gif

Hey I see one of my old uniforms in those pics! Blue ink is fine. The laundry markers/ink were typically blue/purple. I wouldn’t base my decision to purchase on the color of the ink. I’ve seen black,blue/purple, and even red.

Also, just because the markings are very bright or dark, does not always equate to being fake. I also don’t see any issues with the Wyatt uniform.

Most of my collection is a mixed bag between handwritten, stamped, or typed. I’ve actually seen a decent number of blue inked uniforms.

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

Here is the red ink stamped coat in my collection for future reference.

ae89ead480620c51a247a1c635d94c43.jpg

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

The color of the hand written name is nothing to worry about.  Over the years I've seen many in at least black and blue.  Above is one with red.  It happened.

Steve

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated! 

Have seen them both ways and I don´t have a problem with it. I have also seen stamped and inked with the same name.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif