EGA Opinion

rocky

Thanks for the information.  How did you determine that?  Just so I know.

Thanks,

rocky

Bob Hudson

Actually the style with the dot on the anchor fluke  was designed in 1955 when EGA styles were being standardized. The "flower style" roller nut on the EGA is a WWII style but often got mixed in with newer EGA's, since they were usually all the same size.  It can be impossible to narrow down the age of one of what I call modern era EGA's which looked much the same in 1962 and 2002 (or even later). 

We still use the exact same pattern

Is there a number on the back of the wing? If so, I'd place it circa Vietnam. If not, I'd place it at post-Vietnam. 3 digit numbers were manufacturer contract numbers that went into effect in the 50s. Patina/finish of this puts it a earliest the 60s

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but here is a pic of the back.  It does have a number on it.

Thanks,

Del

IMG_0076.JPG

Dates from the late 1960s on with that paint like finish. Early examples of this type had a much nicer finish, the same as old badges.

CB

Brig,

I thought you said in your post above that if it has a number it is circa 50-60's Vietnam.  If it did not have a number it was post Vietnam.  I see you said now it is 70-80's.

Thanks,

rocky

I said that it was earliest the 50s because that's when numbers went into effect, and estimated 60s. Seeing the finish now, I'd say late 60s/early 70s production, but surplus stocks were still being issued into the 80s.

I was issued a 1985 dated French Fourragere in 2007...sometimes the stuff kicks around warehouses for a spell

It doesn't really matter if it was made in the 50s, 60s, or 70s...it doesn't change the value and would still be appropriate on a cap of any of those decades

One way to date the pre-Vietnam versions is the paint.  From 1955 to the first few years in the 60's, Marine EGAs and buttons for the service unform were a dark shade of brown.  The collar ranged from a real dark / near back to a distinctive chocolate brown. 

Most of these got painted or emnued black when we switched from brown to black, but you still see the brown devices in officer and enlisted / screback and clutchback versions from time to time.  

s/f Robert