1/35 Scale 81mm Mortar Squad, Vosges Mountians

Old Marine

Old Marine

This "Social Distancing"  has given me a lot of time to finish up a lot of small projects that have been lying around.  This small vignette is an 81mm Mortar Squad of the 36th Division moving up in the Vosege Mountains in 1944.

I wanted to depict a few average infantrymen doing what they do most of the time, humping gear and weapons up hill.  It always seems like its up hill.  I wanted to make these figures because I was a  Mortarman (0341) in the Marines and I remember carrying pieces of that Mortar.  Getting stuck with carrying the base plate is the worse, there is no good way to carry that thing.  

The figures are completely bashed together from the parts box and are a total mix of everything, Airfix, Tamiya, DLM, ESCI, some resin pieces and others.  The striated rocks of the mountain base is made of piece of cedar bark used in gardens.  

Anyway, it was a fun little project.  Thanks for looking.

Dennis

Finished Mortar 01.jpg

Finished Mortar 02.jpg

Finished Mortar 03.jpg

Finished Mortar 04.jpg

Finished Mortar 05.jpg

Finished Mortar 06.jpg

Finished Mortar 07.jpg

Finished Mortar 08.jpg

Old Marine

Here are some detail photos of the figures and base.  The mortar and the 2 figures on the left are from the ancient Tamiya Support Weapons kit.  The figures are painted with Tamiy, Vallejo and some Artist's gouache (opaque watercolor).

81mm Mortar Sqd 01.jpg

unpainted mortar team.jpg

Painted mortar team.jpg

Painted Mortar Team 04.jpg

Painted Mortar team 02.jpg

Painted Mortar Team 03.jpg

Mortar team base.jpg

Parts box01.jpg

Longhorn92

Very nice work and great subject matter. My grandfather was there and spoke a lot about the Vosges Mountains. 

Old Marine

The base plate was a pain, I was happy to move up the food chain to A-Gunner.   If I remember correctly the Gunner carried the bipod, the Assistant Gunner carried the tube and the 1st ammo man carried the baseplate.  

The whole campaign in the Vosges does get overlooked.  It was a tough campaign.  

Proud Kraut

The base looks superb, the figures have a  very realistic look. Regarding this scene one can feel the physical effort of the mortar team. Another excellent dio. Well done, Dennis!

Very nice work Dennis. Not for nothing, even I wouldn't want to hump up that rough terrain that you made. I was an Arty Forward Observer, and I humped with the grunts but the heaviest thing I humped; besides my field pack, were binoculars and a map case with a compass.

Semper Fi.

Manny 

Brian Dentino

Dennis, superb little dio and LOVE the subject matter.  Your figures look awesome and you can almost hear the cursing and see the sweat on them!

• 5 months later...