30-Year Chief Aviation Machinist's Mate

ItemCo16527

ItemCo16527

I've had this one for a while, and just never had the chance to post it til today.

The uniform is named to ADRC Patrick S*P*I*N*E*L*L*A. He enlisted in November 1940, and began his service as a member of Observation Squadron Five as a part of the Aviation Unit of the battleship USS New York. He would go on to serve in the Pacific after leaving VO-5 in 1943, but I have no details as the NPRC sent me very little information. I did find that he went on to serve in Korea as a member of a PB4Y-2 Privateer assigned to Patrol Squadron Nine. Again, not a lot of other details about his career after this point, but I was able to find that he retired in November 1970 after 30 years and 4 days of active service. I'm surprised he never made Senior Chief or Master Chief! His awards include the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal with 3 Gold Stars, the Presidential Unit Citation and 10 awards of the Navy Good Conduct Medal.

Spinella (1).JPG

Spinella (2).JPG

Spinella (3).JPG

Spinella (4).JPG

Spinella (5).JPG

ItemCo16527
25 minutes ago, patches said:

Great coat, just curious on one thing, wouldn't he rate the Aircrewman Badge?

phpy2PpADAM.jpg

He would, yes. The lining in the uniform has a couple of pinholes above the ribbons where they would have been. They must've been removed or lost at some point, unfortunately. 

ItemCo16527
1 hour ago, hink441 said:

Great looking uniform. Gotta love the Navy uniforms!!

I wonder when he made Chief?

The uniform is dated 1949 and shows him as an ADC. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of Muster Roll entries for him. The last for WWII was in December 1943 when he was transferred from the USS New York to NAS Norfolk, and he was listed as an Aviation Machinist's Mate, 2nd Class. I did find a Muster Roll from 1951, which lists him as an ADC. Looks like he spent 20+ years as a Chief and was never promoted to Senior Chief or Master Chief.

10 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

He would, yes. The lining in the uniform has a couple of pinholes above the ribbons where they would have been. They must've been removed or lost at some point, unfortunately. 

That's good, and it goes without saying that the whole coat wasn't striped, with it just being a bare coat with the name and date on the tag.