Strange blank back WW2 short snorter

Vincennes

This one is really weird. It has 5 signatures on the front and 2 on the reverse. 3 of the signatures on the front are either Sgt's or S/Sgt. so this is probably a WW2 short snorter. But the reverse of the bill is blank.

First I thought the ink had been somehow removed, but the bill is extremely thin so it feels like a layer of paper has been pealed off. It was obviously done  before it was signed.

Any guesses as to how this was done?

Paul

blankbackss1.jpg

Dad served in the Pacific during WWII.  He used to tell about a guy in his outfit who could split a note in 2 and spend the front and back if the other person wasn't paying attention.  Literally doubling his money.  If I remember, Dad said the guy would start by gently rubbing a corner until it started to split, then keep on going.  Dad said he never could do the trick, nor could anyone else he knew who tried it.  Your note is the first time that I have ever seen any proof or confirmation that this could be done!  

Mikie

Doctorofwar

I read a book on counterfeiting once, it explained that some makers of funny money print front and backs separate and then glue them together to get the proper thickness and feel.  It makes sense that real notes are double thickness and could in therefore be separated under the correct conditions.  In more modern day, that is how they sandwich in the anti-copy threads and other security features.