Vietnam War Army Class A's

ItemCo16527

Yes it seems to have been a common feature at the Trans Cntr and Schl in the 70s, and not apparently by Cadre, seen a WAC with these a Clerk I think let me look around again on that  it's use was in the 70s or at least in the 70s, not sure on the 50s -60s or 80s.

Here is a Cadre Instructor of the TC Cntr and Schl with the backing, This from a August 1973 Recruiting Booklet showing the various MOSs.

tpost-34986-0-39129200-1556156041_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-39129200-1556156041_thumb.jpg

ItemCo16527

Patches, I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to find good stuff. I was thinking he was an instructor or cadre and your pictures back that up. Still, I think it's interesting a member of the cadre would need a background trimming for their DUIs since, to me anyway, it would be obvious who the instructors would be to new recruits. Kind of how Recruit Division Commanders wore red shoulder cords when I was Great Lakes for Navy basic. I'm interested to see what other interesting things you find since you seem to be better at it than I am lol

21 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Patches, I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to find good stuff. I was thinking he was an instructor or cadre and your pictures back that up. Still, I think it's interesting a member of the cadre would need a background trimming for their DUIs since, to me anyway, it would be obvious who the instructors would be to new recruits. Kind of how Recruit Division Commanders wore red shoulder cords when I was Great Lakes for Navy basic. I'm interested to see what other interesting things you find since you seem to be better at it than I am lol

Pretty sure it was just a fashion among staff at the center worn by one and all. Got that pic of the WAC with it, will scan it soon and post it.

By the way that E-6 or E-7 Cadre guy is wearing a Brick Red Plastic Backing to his Subdued Rank pin on his Liner, there was a great topic on these 70s Branch Colored backings, which in those days were normally White, but topic for whatever reason has been deleted, like stratasfan the MOD can not find it anywhere, not in HOLDING or in UNSORTED Archives.

ItemCo16527

Well, that's a bummer. I'd love to have seen that thread. Thanks for the info. You're like a one-man Wikipedia! I'd never seen this kind of thing before. I wish the other DUI and backing were still present, but I'm happy with 1 out of 2.

And here's that photo of the WAC at Fort Lee's Transportation Corps Center and School, Spring or there abouts in 1973, see the Brick Red Felt backing on her DIs! She is not a Cadre Instructor, obviously of a Clerical Computer related MOS as she's in a Computer Room. So this indicates this Brick Red felt backing may have been worn by all Permanent Party people assigned to the Transportation Corps Center and School back in those days.

brick red0003.jpg

Here's one up for sale on The Bay, DI is a 1965-1974 Ira Green, only one for sale as is generally typical, matching pairs of vintage DIs being scarce as hens teeth LOL.

If Interested Search Goolge U.S. Army Transportation School Unit Crest Badge Ebay.

s-l500.jpg1216670270_s-l500(1).jpg.c5f8877e029b1ba3faeb0d6929a3d5fb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

I ended up buying the DUI to replace the missing one on the left shoulder. The insignia itself has some differences from the original, but it does have the red felt backing. I'm still debating whether or not I should replace the collar discs.

Cobra 6 Actual
On 4/17/2022 at 1:12 AM, ItemCo16527 said:

Just wanted to mention that when I was an Instructor at the Transportation School in 1967 we wore the red felt backing on our Class A uniforms as you and patches noted. But, really the only time I remember wearing class A’s was the first day of class and at the graduation. On a daily basis we wore fatigues like everyone else. But when we were actually on the rota to train on a given day we also wore this armband:

image.jpeg.840154dd4fd681ce36ba8fe56fd0e0c9.jpeg

ItemCo16527

That's really cool! I've never seen an armband like that before. Thanks for sharing!

If I may add this relative posting.

Pfc Walter E. Demsey Jr. a 67November UH-1 Helicopter Repairer. Photo I believe taken at the end of his AIT at Fort Eustis Virginia some time in the summer of 1968. He was in the 101st Avn Bn 101st Abn Div (AML) was by then a Spec 4, and went down over the far western end of the A Shau during a return trip from Laos after a Green Beret extract mission in Feb 1971.

http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/d371.html

You will note Demsey is in Full Regalia of the Transportation Corps with Branch Colored Rope (Brick Red and Yellow) and Brick Red Branch Bib, but isn't wearing the Brick Red  Felt Backing under his DIs, this indicating the Felt Backing was worn only by Cadre Instructors giving TC AIT, and the other Permanent Party people assigned to the TC Center and School no matter what there MOS were, Cooks, Clerks, Medical people, maybe the MPs etc

post-34986-0-82437500-1449540963.jpg

4 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Just wanted to mention that when I was an Instructor at the Transportation School in 1967 we wore the red felt backing on our Class A uniforms as you and patches noted. But, really the only time I remember wearing class A’s was the first day of class and at the graduation. On a daily basis we wore fatigues like everyone else. But when we were actually on the rota to train on a given day we also wore this armband:

image.jpeg.840154dd4fd681ce36ba8fe56fd0e0c9.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual, question, would the Felt backing be worn under the DI if and when the Garrison Cap was worn?

On 4/18/2022 at 11:53 PM, patches said:

And here's that photo of the WAC at Fort Lee's Transportation Corps Center and School, Spring or there abouts in 1973, see the Brick Red Felt backing on her DIs! She is not a Cadre Instructor, obviously of a Clerical Computer related MOS as she's in a Computer Room. So this indicates this Brick Red felt backing may have been worn by all Permanent Party people assigned to the Transportation Corps Center and School back in those days.

brick red0003.jpg

CORRECTION, will Fort Eustis, not Fort Lee like I put.

Cobra 6 Actual
11 hours ago, patches said:

Cobra 6 Actual, question, would the Felt backing be worn under the DI if and when the Garrison Cap was worn?

In the timeframe that I was there, 1967, we did not wear it under the Garrison Cap DI. Don’t know about before or after that, patches.

ItemCo16527
23 hours ago, patches said:

If I may add this relative posting.

Pfc Walter E. Demsey Jr. a 67November UH-1 Helicopter Repairer. Photo I believe taken at the end of his AIT at Fort Eustis Virginia some time in the summer of 1968. He was in the 101st Avn Bn 101st Abn Div (AML) was by then a Spec 4, and went down over the far western end of the A Shau during a return trip from Laos after a Green Beret extract mission in Feb 1971.

http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/d371.html

You will note Demsey is in Full Regalia of the Transportation Corps with Branch Colored Rope (Brick Red and Yellow) and Brick Red Branch Bib, but isn't wearing the Brick Red  Felt Backing under his DIs, this indicating the Felt Backing was worn only by Cadre Instructors giving TC AIT, and the other Permanent Party people assigned to the TC Center and School no matter what there MOS were, Cooks, Clerks, Medical people, maybe the MPs etc

post-34986-0-82437500-1449540963.jpg

Thank you, Patches. This is a fantastic study of the various types of insignia worn at the time. I imagine the shoulder cord was an unauthorized piece of insignia since I don't recall seeing pictures of very many people wearing branch cords outside of the Infantry. It's a shame PFC Demsey was killed in action. By posting his picture, you're helping to keep his memory alive. (Edit: I checked the link you posted, and SP4 Demsey is a fellow New Jerseyan. Thanks again for posting this!)

Cobra 6: Thanks for your posts and insight into the insignia worn at the time. This kind of thing is one of the reasons I love being a member here. There's always someone who either served with a particular unit and/or happens to be an expert in its history, insignia, etc.

13 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

In the timeframe that I was there, 1967, we did not wear it under the Garrison Cap DI. Don’t know about before or after that, patches.

Roger Cobra 6 Actual