FDR propaganda leaflet

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Here is an example of a German propaganda leaflet taunting U.S. forces over the death of President Roosevelt.  It measures 5 inches X 3 inches, I would assume it was delivered by way of a propaganda shell.  Interesting to see that the Germans were still hard at work with this sort of thing so late in the game.

Rob

fdr1.jpg

The Rooster

Strange because I dont think that Wilson was thought of as a bad President.

He had his critics of course like all Presidents.....

One author recently wrote...

"When legacy is defined as influence on the nation and future politics, Wilson ranks behind only Washington, Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, and Jefferson in importance."

So I think I see the psychological ploy.

They wanted the GI to think hey look... the Germans arent so bad...

Giving us sympathy for Roosevelt.

Thats all I get out of it.

Fixbayonets!

That's not how I am reading it. 

The condolences the Germans are giving the G.I. are "tongue in cheek" and are not sincere.

They are giving a dig to the G.I. by saying provenance saved Hitler from the July 20 plot but provenance did not save FDR.  Basically thay are saying god is on our side & not yours.

The Germans are also implying that President Wilson was in the wrong for entering the war against Germany during WWI and contributing to their defeat.  They are saying that FDR will face the same "judgement" as Wilson for his wrong doings.

The part of the message about FDR's unexpected passing might have had some affect.  I doubt that many bought into the bit about WIlson & FDR.

Rob          

Fixbayonets!

That's strange, there is some kind of autocorrect working here that keeps changing the word to provenance.

Rob

Longbranch

The forum admins put in an autocorrect feature since so many people were incorrectly saying “p r o v i d e n c e” when they were meaning “provenance”.

The Rooster

Wow, I didnt look at it like that. I would of been okay reading it back in the day because their subtle message would be lost on me. If I was reading it back then, Id a said to myself, well........ Nobody tried to kill FDR with a briefcase bomb so...........

Fixbayonets!

You are correct, the message was subtle and probably went over the heads of some G.I.'s.

Rob 

The Rooster

Im guessing all of their propaganda missed the mark in some way shape or form and were entirely

rejected by our troops. Might have been entertaining..... It may have had the opposite effect of that which was intended

would be my guess.