Vietnam HGU-2/p Flown In 559th TFS

mwesson030

mwesson030

I picked up this helmet earlier this year along with a flight suit, dress uniform, and a few other pieces of equipment all belonging to one John Apple. After doing some digging online and through the National Archives, I was able to find that he had a distinguished career. Some highlights include an aerial victory in WW2, extensive time as an experimental test pilot, participation in Operation REDWING, and distinction in Vietnam with two Air Medals and two Distinguished Flying Crosses.

The helmet flown in 559th TFS from 1968-1969, an F-4C Phantom squadron based out of Cam Ranh Bay. Unfortunately it is heavily damaged, but it certainly has character.

acd2d696fb6eb03908b7a5ab6a62ff45.jpg

4a213ca18c4612471019cec8fd2c0401.jpg

c16fd7d4879f7909b987229fb2ed8d71.jpg

f29fb6f3aa0adc9414cae7e3b4e9e594.jpg

990619bcf9cc94175c59a05ad4bff7a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwesson030

Medal papers pertaining to his service in the 559th. Most of them are somewhat generic, but one is given specifically for his actions during the Battle of Duc Lap, a besieged special forces camp.  

Air Medal April 1969.jpg

Air Medal March 1969.jpg

Flying Cross August 1968.jpg

Flying Cross July 1968.jpg

A very nice grouping.Love the F-4 items.The helmet visor and track have been damaged over the years.He never would have flown it in that condition.I would be tempted to replace the visor cover and track,but that's just me. It would drive me crazy like that. I have about 15 or 20 of these visors covers if you want one PM me. Visors and knobs and tracks are available as you know.

That's a great helmet!  Thanks for the photos.  

It is a bummer that the visor cover is so broken and that chunk is missing.  Perhaps you can at least glue it back together at the rear visor track so that you can put a visor and visor knob back in it without messing too much with it.  Worth a shot anyway I think!

What does the flight suit look like?  Are there any patches on it?

-Derek

mwesson030

Here is the flight suit, model K-2B. Unfortunately no squadron patches, but this is the one he flew in during his tour in Vietnam. The reference photo of the pilot in the squadron is one from a veteran of the 559th during 68-69 I tracked down and spoke to while researching this group. He said that he didn’t remember anyone having squadron patches outside of rank and name tapes on their flight suits.

c9298139db043efeb5400fe1455ac5a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk