New Early ACH with 3 Color Cover

AKC123

Just found this helmet during my first visit to a small surplus shop I found near Ft. Meade which is about 25 minutes from my house. Not an expert but I think this is fairly early in ACH terms. The shells looks to be dated 1-25-2005 and the cover is an 04 contract date. The date on the small mold circle on the chinstrap buckle is also 04. Has a name on both the cover and she’ll. MSA size medium with dark green shade and black chinstrap. The label on the strap is completely washed out. Plenty of sand and dirt under the pads which are Oregon Aero. No retention band or NVG Mount. There’s a hole in the front where the boot would be but no bolt. Don’t see any evidence that there was a mount at any time. So what do you guys think who know more than me or have experience? Was it common during this period to wear helmets without the mount and retention band? Should there be a bolt in the mounting hole? Or does it seem likely this is how it was worn? Thanks 

D08FC752-D40A-483D-93BD-797848B52055.jpeg

2873DCD0-B53E-45C6-953E-60B1CCEEE37E.jpeg

67C147A7-E42E-466C-BC20-7426A419D7EC.jpeg

DFFEC838-9DFA-4A4D-BEE1-913FEFB749CE.jpeg

2D623C37-3AB0-4D4A-88CF-21BBE4FD7240.jpeg

783E06DE-BB41-49B3-A01A-0350D56D03C0.jpeg

61CF9E9D-A3C6-4737-83BC-7CC4A807AFB3.jpeg

FB021948-2E8B-4B01-AB00-E524115F9623.jpeg

D6009CA9-99C5-4194-9EE6-3003CD6979A1.jpeg

They came with a screw in the front hole but......who knows when, where or why it was taken out.  Army wise not everyone got or needed NVGs but usually mounts were issued out during RFI issue. 

I suspect a Air Force helmet. It meets the theater requirement but most AF folks don't mess with NVGs. 

Thanks for the reply. Yea looking at photos of AF security forces it looks like many if not most wore bare helmets with no other equipment. Is it definitely the case that all helmets cane from MSA with the screw installed? Doesn’t the NVG Mount come with a screw? 

Looks like I found the answer to my own question. Clearly they didn’t come from the manufacturer with the front screw but it’s clearly stated that one should be inserted if a mount is not used. It doesn’t really look as if one was ever in place. I don’t see any marks or disturbance of the shell paint and it doesn’t even look like the frayed material around the edge of the hole has been flattened down significantly by a nut. I guess whoever wore this just never put one in. Pretty small detail to discuss just wanted to know if I got a complete helmet as worn that nobody messed with. Thanks 

0B105025-6FD8-4525-BD78-A951BA298FF2.jpeg

85995272-1F15-43ED-AD86-7957B204AE2F.jpeg

1A852E03-7632-48DE-BF21-45284C15FDEB.jpeg

8EE626FE-5936-4A34-A29B-D7E56EAFF25E.jpeg

47687F3B-3DEF-4B6D-9D2B-B49BB5EFF79A.jpeg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

If you look at photos of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan you will see plenty with no NVG mount, hard to say unmessed with though with the pads on your floor

29 minutes ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

If you look at photos of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan you will see plenty with no NVG mount, hard to say unmessed with though with the pads on your floor

Not sure what you mean. I took the pads out to check the shell and clean out some of the debris but everything seems to be appropriate for the date and the wear and names on both cover and shell makes it seem like it’s remained intact since leaving the service. 

Does anyone know what period and in what context the pasgts with the UCP covers were worn? Iv heard cadets but were they ever overseas?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Mainly national guard, and mainly in CONUS, but you do occasionally see them with deployed NG. 

18 hours ago, AKC123 said:

Does anyone know what period and in what context the pasgts with the UCP covers were worn? Iv heard cadets but were they ever overseas?

They were worn down range, but usually on an individual basis, when they could get away with it.  One I have in my collection was used in Kuwait/Iraq in 2007 because he liked the fit better than the ACH.

Just now, RedLegGI said:

They were worn down range, but usually on an individual basis, when they could get away with it.  One I have in my collection was used in Kuwait/Iraq in 2007 because he liked the fit better than the ACH.

That’s interesting. Never heard anyone say that before. Thanks 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

StealthyTyler had one that was worn by a guardsman in Iraq in 2008 because his ACH was stolen, but I can't find the thread, might not have made the forum transition yet. 

The surplus shop I bought this helmet from had a few pasgts as well. I’m not confident that any of them weren’t put together though. One pasgt had an ACH UCP cover fitted over it and what looked like a brand new sweat band. I know they made UCP pasgt covers so I was just curious what kind of use they saw. 

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Proxxy04 said:

Looks to be an MSA TC2000 or early ACH I’m betting more on an early ACH.

Err sorry bettong it’s a TC2000