M6 Scabbard press stud

barryeye

Gentleman. Whilst I've owned M3s for over 50 years I have never seen a genuine M6 scabbard let alone owned one. Recently I managed to obtain two from Norway. I believe the U.S. gave or sold a pile of M6s to Norway after WWII. The Norwegians then chose to replace the standard leather keeper strap with a webbing one of their own making. Whilst this is totally serviceable and a possible improvement over the leather one I would like to replace the webbing ones with a more "authentic" leather one. I have some appropriate leather and the connecting rivet should be no problem. However, the press stud is a problem. I believe there is a specific size that can still be purchased today. I once saw a written reference to the size and type used but can no longer find it. I don't have an original M6 to use for reference. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

rsz_img_4006.jpg

Nomenclature might be something of a problem here, but lets see if the names we use here work for were you are.  There were two types of fasteners, (snaps), generally used during WW2  on the sheaths we made.  

All of the M6 sheaths I've seen had keepers closed with a type of snap we call a "segma snap", (yes that's the way they spell it).  The replacement snap on your knife is often called a "durable dot" type.  Also for the M6 sheaths the keeper and snap are usually smaller than what you run across on web type.

Another name I've seen associated with segma snaps is, "belt snap" and/or "glove snap".

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Sactroop. That will be of great help. I was indeed struggling to find the correct word for the part.

Here's a picture of a few different WW2 sheaths with a variety of the types of snaps you might run across.  These sheaths are for the fighting/utility knife and the types of snaps run larger in size than what you're looking for the M6 sheath.

The center example is a segma snap, while the ones on either end are different sizes of durable dot type.  I've had no luck around here finding a large snap in the segma type, not even a box of old stock.  It seems like the manufactures just went to the other style for the larger snaps.  I'm hoping since the M6 uses a smaller snap that you'll be able to locate a satisfactory replacement.

1357574772_WW2sheathsnaps.jpg.f4540a75e2c02068999dcbf4b563b487.jpg

Again I must thank you Sactroop. That will be of help. So the M6 snap is a fraction smaller than that on the M8? By chance do you have any good pictures of M6 snaps. I own what I think is a good reproduction M6 but I am not sure how accurate the snap is.

I just have some reference books that I'm a little uncomfortable to post images.  Even with that I don't have actual measurements to include with a posting.

Maybe some others here can jump in with information from their own collections?