Firmin Jump Wings

Hello All. Took a chance on this one as it was being sold relatively cheaply. It’s brass and die-struck and I like the look of it in-hand, but I’m always wary of hallmarked British wings. Any thoughts?

c18f05aca8d8cf7204e16394e050c081.jpg

864bb7954b301624c98056b13c41eac4.jpg

LuftStalg1

The poor quality hallmark is what I always look for to tell me its good.  All the fake junk I have seen ALWAYS has a nice, perfect hallmark.  But I am no expert in this area, just an observation I have made.

Actually I think you got a real one as it looks a lot better than the pair in my collection.  I hope you don't mind me attaching photos to your thread to show you the differences.  I got them in the late 1980s or early 1990s and was never really comfortable with them as it was during this period that someone in the UK was cranking out fake batches of British made US paratrooper wings.  I believe my pair are copies.  Does anyone have a good photograph of a Firmin London made US paratrooper wing with provonance?

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

Thanks both for your positive appraisals of the wing. I too would be interested in seeing any other examples, especially with provenance.

This one came from Melton Mowbray not far from where the 82nd AB Div were based and flew from (Leicester, Braunstone, Saltby) so I’d like to think it is original and perhaps belonged to one of them.

I realize that I am coming late to the party here, but I just wanted to mention that LuftStalag1 and Tonomachi are both right on point with their assessment. Great wing.

As an aside, most fake Firmin wings that I have seen have had a small tag soldered to the back side of the wings- not a good sign.

Allan

Looking at the jump wings and ovals thread there’s a Firmin wing on a 505 PIR oval. They were based in Quorn, 10 miles from Melton where I sourced the wing. Could the 505th have been supplied with a few boxes of Firmin wings for their PX? Who knows. So tantalising but alas merely circumstantial.