2+ Canteens Being Worn in the ETO

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any photographic proof/definitive evidence of 2+ canteens being worn in the ETO? I know it was common among the USMC as well as US Soldiers in the field in the PTO, but unsure if anything similar was done in the ETO/MTO? I'm sure most likely we can infer they did, but it would be good to see some defnitive photographic proof or veteran testimony.

Thanks
Hunt

The Rooster

I just look through some footage of US Army infantry in the eto and I only saw 1

canteen being worn. Never saw 2. And 95% of the time they are being worn on the right rear hip.

That doesnt mean they did not have an extra one in their packs but it seems they only wore one on the belt.

Mainly. Could have been some that wore 2 ?

Rakkasan187

Here is a photo from Shelby Stanton's US Army Uniforms of World War Two.

It shows the 3rd Infantry Division troops prior to the invasion of Southern France. The last Soldiers in the right column have 2 canteens.

Leigh

2 Canteens in ETO.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Looks like the guy in front of the guy with two canteens also has two. If I'm seeing it right

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

huntssurplus

Nice photo! So that shows at least a few soldiers had two canteens. I'm guessing this wasn't common though like the PTO? I'll do some more searching, would like to see some more photos though.

Hunt

The Rooster

Makes sense too. I personally would want more than one canteen. Im guessing it all

depended on unit SOP ???.  I never did anything but train in the National guard.

But I always wore 2 canteens on my belt and I always carried 2 in my ruck.

Extra socks extra water and TP ! lol

huntssurplus

Thanks for that photo!

Do you have a source for that too? Just wondering if it's different then the other 3rd ID photo posted.

So I guess if anything we can say that it was common in the PTO and among the 3rd ID.

Hunt

pararaftanr2

Just stumbled across this footage on YouTube, reported to be of the 4th ID in Northern France in August 1944. Several men carry two canteens. I'm guessing the hot summer weather was a factor. Some places to look are at 3:24, 3:45, 4:03 and 4:31. There are probably a few more instances I missed. Enjoy a couple of camo HBT suits as well. The second half of the film is of the 79th ID, but I didn't see anything in their footage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZPE0pjnyY

This screen capture is from 4:31:

canteens.jpg

huntssurplus

Great footage there! Lots of interesting stuff! I guess from the amount of men carrying two canteens there, I guess its' best to infer that carrying two canteens was common in the summer of 1944 among US troops in both Southern and Northern France. Wonder if anyone can find a photo from Italy or North Africa though? I mean it's easy to assume, but always welcoming more evidence.

On another note, the footage shows the canteens mostly being carried next to each on the right hip side by side. Good stuff to see.

A few more interesting things I saw was what looked like a parachute silk helmet cover at 2:51 and a leather jerkin at 5:28?

Thanks again for sharing!
Hunt

20 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

Thanks for that photo!

Do you have a source for that too? Just wondering if it's different then the other 3rd ID photo posted.

So I guess if anything we can say that it was common in the PTO and among the 3rd ID.

Hunt

pont battant.jpg

huntssurplus

Okay, so looks like there are at least two different sources of pictures showing 3rd ID troops right before Dragoon with 2 canteens being worn. Thanks for the source! 

huntssurplus

One more thing I wanted to mention from the footage posted by pararaftanr2

One more thing, any idea what the low hanging packs they are wearing in the first 30 seconds of the footage is? Looks like it may be either a low hanging Musette bag or an M44 lower cargo bag almost. Any ideas?

Hunt

pararaftanr2
27 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

One more thing I wanted to mention from the footage posted by pararaftanr2

One more thing, any idea what the low hanging packs they are wearing in the first 30 seconds of the footage is? Looks like it may be either a low hanging Musette bag or an M44 lower cargo bag almost. Any ideas?

Hunt

I think what you are seeing is the light weight gas mask bag. Also, around the 4:34 mark, you can see one of the riflemen is wearing a medic's yoke suspenders. 

huntssurplus

I think what you are seeing is the light weight gas mask bag. Also, around the 4:34 mark, you can see one of the riflemen is wearing a medic's yoke suspenders. 

Oh okay that makes sense! Thanks!

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk