First time Metal Detecting, First time finding militaria

This all started when my wife got me a metal detector for Christmas. She knew I was interested in it, I was watching You tube videos all the time. She got me a really good one, with all the accessories. My area is rich in history. Rogers island is only a mile down the road from me. I live in fort Edward NY. So I hit permission to search a house that was built in 1868. Whitin the first 1/2 he a found a silver dime dated 1918 and then this. A 1820's captains militia button. And I found it in a riped up driveway that had blacktop on it for the last 50 to 60 years I bet. So I hit that area first. Here it is7330a8737a6a04c8e8dfdc8612047dfb.jpg7ccc4a51aa3c0c84094e211f911c2a4d.jpg1f47671cca73b3ad995dcf5676eb75c9.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Very nice find! 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Uh-oh...  You have been infected with the metal detecting ("dirt fishing") bug.  There is no cure......

Nice finds!

Tom

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

For you, or any other metal detecting enthusiast, I recommend a good pin-pointer.  It is an absolute game-changer.

I have a Garrett Pro-Pointer II, and cannot imagine hunting without it.

Good luck!

WOW! How super fun! Sis and I have aLWAYS wanted to do metal detecting! Our Grampa lives on the side of a mountain in Tennessee, and a CW battle was fought on it (and the surrounding ones and in the valley), and CW bullets used to wash onto his driveway. So did Indian arrowheads, as there are Indian burial grounds on his half of the mountain too! One time, Mom says when they were younger, her bro found a CW cannon ball! Belt buckles used to wash down. Sis and I always dreamed of getting a metal detector and going around! 

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

10 hours ago, stratasfan said:

WOW! How super fun! Sis and I have aLWAYS wanted to do metal detecting! Our Grampa lives on the side of a mountain in Tennessee, and a CW battle was fought on it (and the surrounding ones and in the valley), and CW bullets used to wash onto his driveway. So did Indian arrowheads, as there are Indian burial grounds on his half of the mountain too! One time, Mom says when they were younger, her bro found a CW cannon ball! Belt buckles used to wash down. Sis and I always dreamed of getting a metal detector and going around! 

Well, what's stopping you? A decent starter set can be had for around $250 new, slightly used a lot less if you're lucky. It takes some time to learn, but all info you'll need is available on youtube. :)

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

8 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Exactly what I have, a Garrett pin pointer. My wife got all the accessories for me.

Sweet! I just started messing around with my detector again. I’ll have to look into a pin pointer also.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

A pin pointer and decent headphones are game changers.  I have a Sun Ray DX-1 "Invader" inline pin pointer mounted on my old White's MXT and Mine Lab Explorer II.  Even subtle sounds are discernible with an inline pin pointer through headphones, especially if there is a lot of background noise.

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

13 hours ago, earlymb said:

Well, what's stopping you? A decent starter set can be had for around $250 new, slightly used a lot less if you're lucky. It takes some time to learn, but all info you'll need is available on youtube. :)

The $250 . . . but one time maybe we will finally get to do it! We were actually thinking of going down to visit our Grampa for the first time in years, and then all this COVID stuff erupted. So maybe next year! But . . . it would be soooooooo fun! 

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

I went metal detecting only once on the Camp Adair mortar range. Found a few 81mm fin assemblies and a few spent 30 cal brass. Had to dig down about 2 feet to retrieve the fins. But after a few finds I got scared. "What if I find a dud and set it off?" I called off my search and never did it again.

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

10 hours ago, stratasfan said:

The $250 . . . but one time maybe we will finally get to do it! We were actually thinking of going down to visit our Grampa for the first time in years, and then all this COVID stuff erupted. So maybe next year! But . . . it would be soooooooo fun! 

If you look around you'll find slightly used MD's for a lot less. I got a virtually new Garrett Ace 300i (a decent starter model) from a pawn shop for $80. New Garrett headphones were about €20 and I got a pinpointer from AliExpress for about the same and they really aren't that bad all! So for about $120 I was ready to go.

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

Oh, that's cool! I should spend some time researching these things, so if we ever do get the chance, I'd know what to be looking for! Sounds so fun! We drove by Newark Earthworks yesterday, and that brought Grampa's mountain to mind again, after this conversation! -grin- 

donation2018.gif

Congrats! I too have just started metal detecting. It is addictive! 

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, robinb said:

I went metal detecting only once on the Camp Adair mortar range. Found a few 81mm fin assemblies and a few spent 30 cal brass. Had to dig down about 2 feet to retrieve the fins. But after a few finds I got scared. "What if I find a dud and set it off?" I called off my search and never did it again.

I think you were smart to leave the range alone. At Fort Mc Coy we once had to dig in just over a short berm that separated an old impact area on an old range for a live fire. Only like 20 feet inside of the berm. The guys turned up several unexploded motor rounds in shovels of dirt that had to be detonated by range control.

I wouldnt dig around old ranges myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 11:14 PM, BILL THE PATCH said:

Sweeet, is it civil war era?

Sure is!  Confederate 12 pounder, case shot.  Found in the Cold Harbor area on private property.  

nice luck

I have tried off and on for years and had little luck with finding militaria, with the exception of some WWII and KW era brass on my camp. I even tried in Norway with a CMD...which was a huge mistake, as the CMD penetrates way too deep and I ended up digging deep often and for naught. 

I have had more luck finding relics on the surface than metal detecting...walking through the stream that cuts through base, magnet fishing the river...but there's treasure out there to be found

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

If you live in the vicinity of a military post that dates from WW2 and earlier, (if permissible) you may wish to try detecting around the area where the barracks were.  Great places to find older coins is around the front stairs of the barracks.  Pocket change falls out and goes under the stairs.  I know a few people who did quite well detecting around Fort Ord after the base closure, particularly around the WW2 era barracks.  Same can be said of sports fields where benches, seating areas were.  Consider what an area was used for at one time and what may have been dropped accidentally.  Parade grounds yield buttons, pins, etc as an example.

Historic Aerials is a great resource to find hunting grounds. They have aerial photos dating back to the 40s and 50s, showing changes over the years

Keep in mind that it is against the law to take artifacts off military installations. Everything we find on the Camp goes into a shadow box in the CP

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

18 minutes ago, Brig said:

Historic Aerials is a great resource to find hunting grounds. They have aerial photos dating back to the 40s and 50s, showing changes over the years

Keep in mind that it is against the law to take artifacts off military installations. Everything we find on the Camp goes into a shadow box in the CP

Generally true for all Federal land (not too sure if BLM land is lumped in with that) and state parks.  Various municipalities may have their own laws regarding metal detecting on public land.  Places worth looking at are former bases and posts that were closed by BRAC.  Several of these places are in private hands now and can be detected with permission of the property owners.  Ideally, get written permission with the property owner's contact information and have it with you if ever questioned by law enforcement.