Coveralls for review

helmetman54

7 hours ago, earlymb said:

Yes, they were used in the ETO but very limited, which is still a lot more than never though :)

I don't think I have ever seen proof that the Germans used this camo coverall, which doesn't mean it never happened of course.

The man in the camo in the photo above is a German sniper, here's a picture of what I believe to be the same German sniper, made prisoner by the same British soldiers (possibly a still taken from film?). This same picture has been food for a lot of debate around the coveralls, but there is just no denying that the camo is the one piece coverall from what we can see in the other picture. Of course the important thing isn't whether or not the Germans wore them, the important thing is that there finally is proof the Americans did. Or at least one US soldier did. 😉

Snipers-Brit-snipers-capture-German-SS-sniper-1_edited-1024.jpg

3 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

The 2 phots are staged and only fantasy
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol what makes you say that 

It's the abbreviation of laughing out loud. I thought you were joking but on second thought you may have a point. All I know is the pictures are definitely wartime, staged or not and were taken by Canadian photographer lt. Ken Bell. The sources say Normandy, but can't confirm at this point. The destruction, architecture and orchard in the last picture really do make it seem so, although some places in England look alike and were turned into battlefields before the invasion. So who really knows? I guess it needs more research to validate the claim. Sorry if this is not what it looks like. 

BILL THE PATCH
The 2 phots are staged and only fantasy
Owen

Yes!! thank you owen. I know I've read that in a old thread but was hesitant to bring it up. I thought maybe I was imagining it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Here's proof, caption say 2nd Armored in normandyac18ed29867e2174c08290f3d1006925.jpg

?? What exactly makes you think the pics were staged?  If that's what you think, please, educate. Is it unreasonable to assume both coveralls and two piece camo was used in Normandy or wasn't camouflage just camouflage to the army? Just doesn't make sense to exclude the coveralls from field testing.

BILL THE PATCH
?? What exactly makes you think the pics were staged?  If that's what you think, please, educate. Is it unreasonable to assume both coveralls and two piece camo was used in Normandy or wasn't camouflage just camouflage to the army? Just doesn't make sense to exclude the coveralls from field testing.
It's in an old thread about why they are staged, I cannot seem to find it. But I do remember the story just not the specifics

'Flage Guy

From what I recall, these photos, which may be stills from a film, were made for demonstration on handling of freshly caught P.O.W.s; likely they didn't have any Waffen SS 'flage on hand to clothe the "German", so they used the U.S. Jungle Suit.

I did some business with a Frenchman years ago who became a U.S. citizen. He told me a story about his grandmother in France, which she related to him when he was visiting his family over there. She had gotten ahold of a quantity of unused surplus One-Piece Jungle Suits (the camo Coveralls we are discussing) which she endeavored to soak in a vat of dark blue dye for conversion into standard work suits. She said it was frustrating, because the dark brown spots kept showing through, no matter how many times she tried to dye them...when he told me this story, we both laughed and agonized over the various fates of War surplus items in the late '40s-'50s!

That said, this is more proof that some of the One-Piece Jungle Suits did find their way into the ETO.

Persian Gulf Command

Here is a photo of my dad at home c.1949.  He served in the Persian Gulf Command so go figure.  Perhaps brought them home from a surplus stock.  I remember him wearing out a pair while working the farm.

img216.jpg

Yes!! thank you owen. I know I've read that in a old thread but was hesitant to bring it up. I thought maybe I was imagining it.

My pleasure Bill

Don’t forget camouflage was sent to France for use in indochina

That’s a great picture of your father !!
Love it
PC

LOL

Owen

Sorry for the late reaction, but those pics are well-known and staged for some sort of training- or propaganda film indeed. On the pic where they are coming out of the house you can even see an arrow pointing to the hands of the 'prisoner', held to his head. One of the Allied soldiers carries a sniper Mk4 Enfield minus scope.

As for the pic of the man eating, unfortunately none of the pocket buttons are visible and those are often the best way to see if it's a two-piece suit of coverall on grainy pics.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, patches said:

Never a problem, I posted images in the past either  uncaptioned and or partially captioned, or flat out wrong in captioning, other members usually get to the bottom of it.

This one I spotted on facebook in a Wingate search, the GI with him is given as the 900th Abn Avn Eng Co C.O. Capt Pat Casey flying out of India to BROADWAY in Burma, So we assume the others are also GIs of the 900th Abn Avn Eng Co too  in India (This region of India, North East, is tropical just like over the border in Burma

I almost didn't post the last picture but I am glad that I did.  Without it, these pictures would not have been correctly identified.

There is a poof a guy riding a Harley wearing them coveralls somewhere in Normandy out there I can’t find it on my computer though

8 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

Lol

Yeah I know. Sorry for the failed attempts at finding this haystack needle.