Vermont Surgeons MOLLUS Medal Group

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I have rekindled my interest in Civil War veterans groups and was pleased to pick up this trio.

Army Assistant Surgeon John B. Crandall served with distinction in the Battles of Antietem with the 6th Vermont Volunteer Infantry and at Gettysburg with the 13th Vermont Volunteer Infantry.
Born Feb. 22, 1840, Crandall enlisted from Berlin, Vermont on October 15, 1861 as a Hospital Steward in the 6th Vermont Infantry and saw action with the 6th to include the Battle of Antietam. He transferred to the 13th Vermont Infantry as an Assistant Surgeon on October 7, 1862 again engaged with the regiment through the Battle of Gettysburg. He mustered into U.S. Volunteers Regiment July 7, 1863. And lastly was appointed Asst. Surgeon 7th U.S. Cavalry under General Custer in 1867. He resigned his commission in 1868 and began practicing medicine in Sterling, Illinois, dying there on October 20, 1911. He is buried at Riverside Cemetery in Sterling.
Included here is his excellent condition MOLLUS Medal number 12716, traceable to Crandall. An equally excellent GAR membership edge and an early T-pin 1st Corps badge.

134219149_scaled_642x377.jpg

wartimecollectables.com
4 minutes ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

Obituary: St. Albans Daily Messenger, Oct. 23, 1911
Dr. John B. Crandall, a graduate of the medical department of the University of Vermont, Burlington, and an assistant surgeon in the Thirteenth Vermont regiment, is dead at his home at Sterling, Ill. He had been ill for some time of Bright's disease. He was born in Roxbury, February 21, 1840. At an early date his father moved to Berlin, where he attended the common schools and worked on the farm until he entered Barre Academy.

Soon after the breaking out of Civil War, and while he was still a medical student, he entered military service October 15, 1861, as a hospital steward of the Sixth Vermont Volunteer Infantry. During a leave of absence, he entered the University of Vermont and graduated, being promoted after graduation to assistant surgeon of the 13th Vermont volunteer infantry.
Doctor Crandall was mustered out with the regiment July 21, 1863, and soon afterward was appointed surgeon of the United States Volunteers. He served in the Baxter and Sloan hospital in the autumn of 1865 and followed this with a post-graduate course in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York. In the summer of 1866, he was appointed assistant surgeon in the United States army and assigned to duty with the Seventh U.S. Cavalry in the department of the Missouri, and was with General Custer's command in several Indian fights. He resigned and left the army in the summer of 1868 and began practice in Sterling, Il

134219150.jpg

skypilot6670

That is a very nice group. The Custer connection is top shelf and the First Corps Badge is beautiful , it looks like a silhouette with blue background. Silhouette badges are frail and consequently don’t survive ,on top of that the First Corps is very rarely seen and the condition looks excellent.  My compliments Mike   

Very nice! The medal's in beautiful shape and to have his photo and history with it is really spectacular. And the Custer connection, like Mike said, is really top shelf.

Thanks for sharing, Andrew!

wartimecollectables.com

Thank you!  I really love the CW groups and will post more as time permits.

134219152_scaled_585x279.jpg

Steve Rogers

I would be hesitant about the corps badge. Some suspect the pie crust and scallop edged sandwich badges are misinterpretations by modern makers of GAR badges with stamped semicircles around the borders that were imitations of some Civil War types that had actually had more detail.

skypilot6670
7 hours ago, Steve Rogers said:

I would be hesitant about the corps badge. Some suspect the pie crust and scallop edged sandwich badges are misinterpretations by modern makers of GAR badges with stamped semicircles around the borders that were imitations of some Civil War types that had actually had more detail.

I agree with Steve on the Corps Badge.I should have looked closer at the first photo.695816F0-4101-429A-996A-4114AD5BFF93.jpeg.62fa6884c084db2ff90886ff105cf276.jpegI didn’t pick up on it till I saw the back in the second second photo. The image below is taken from “North South Trader’s Civil War” Vol.XXVI No. 1 ,this article by Jim Frasca covers these badges.The article is in ,”The Millennium Issue” .

wartimecollectables.com

I've owned quite a few CW badges and have no doubt that this is an authentic corps badge. That said, let me clarify that it is not wartime but a post-war veterans souvenir as purchased at a reunion.

wartimecollectables.com

It's gonna be tough for this vegetarian to eat crow but my 1st Corps badge is indeed identical to the one illustrated as a fake in the NSTCW article and Jim knew his stuff! Looks like that badge is a bad one. Thanks for the heads up gents!

• 4 weeks later...