James T. Hennessy OSS CHINA, COMMANDED OPERATION CARDINAL

BEAST

• 3 years later...
KASTAUFFER

I just got this as part of a large POW group to the Adjutant of Camp Hoten.

01dd76074e775a91a063288821692931ed1c424ac6.jpg

01873e664d15312ad17743e515b4c7a03ca9ccef01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
carbinephalen

It's interesting that he was awarded a Soldier's Medal for that mission. It seems to definitely involve combat (or possible combat) with the enemy. I would expect a SSM (or a BSM atleast) for his actions. A very unique and thorough citation indeed!

Needless to say, that man was a hero. Glad you were able to save this one. ?

• 3 years later...

Wow, about ten years ago I went and listened to a presentation at a museum where a guy talked about he jumped into Japanese held China with a small OSS team at the end of the war. He said they were to secure paperwork and to prevent the execution of POW's. He said the Japanese were not told about them coming, so they walked right into the headquarters and said you are suppose to help us to the total shock of the Japanese. He said the Japanese officers huddled to discuss what to do and decided to put them in a hotel room for the night. The next day they were very helpful to the American's shock. i wonder if this is him? or a member of his team. I remember the guy had a privately published book available, but I did not buy it. Paul

• 5 months later...

My father, Col J. W. Worthington, was a POW in Mukden, Manchuria, Camp Hoten I, on 8/16/1945. A copy of his account of Maj. Hennessy's drop makes fascinating reading, and I have attached an excerpt from his memoirs in the link below. I am researching for a documentary and interested in related information.

Respectfully,

Will Worthington

Col (ret) US Army

Carefree, AZ

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hwl0xg20jet5me/AABxfqhcph7MuWYenX9hZjwja?dl=0