So at the local surplus store I was digging through a pile of canteen covers and came across this, I'm almost certain that it's an m67 canteen cover, but just wanted to make sure. The only markings i can make out are "CANTEEN" and a very, very faint "US." Am I correct in assuming that it's an M67 cover, or is it just an ALICE cover?

Thanks1f4b62b9925f3d2ea986b8c5af14e1b0.jpg27f28a75f91503ebfc98b70d264ce459.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Have a great day,

Garrison M.

That's what it looks like. The earliest ones have plastic snaps. Yours looks like it has metal snaps. Sgt Monroe has detailed information on the evolution of canteen covers and other 782 gear on this forum.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

That's what it looks like. The earliest ones have plastic snaps. Yours looks like it has metal snaps. Sgt Monroe has detailed information on the evolution of canteen covers and other 782 gear on this forum.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'll make sure to read through those posts

Have a great day,

Garrison M.

It is definitely an M-1967 cover  The 1968 and 1969 models have plastic fasteners. Since the plastic fasteners had a tendency to break, they returned to the metal fasteners in 1970. I have a 1971, 1972 and 1973 model with metal fasteners that look identical to the 68 and 69 models in material pattern. In 1974, another problem was rectified as a result of the canteen cup wearing through the nylon material. The area was reinforced with a horizontal strip. I can post photos of these covers if you'd like to see them along with the contract stamps.

27 minutes ago, usmc grunt said:

It is definitely an M-1967 cover  The 1968 and 1969 models have plastic fasteners. Since the plastic fasteners had a tendency to break, they returned to the metal fasteners in 1970. I have a 1971, 1972 and 1973 model with metal fasteners that look identical to the 68 and 69 models in material pattern. In 1974, another problem was rectified as a result of the canteen cup wearing through the nylon material. The area was reinforced with a horizontal strip. I can post photos of these covers if you'd like to see them along with the contract stamps.

Photos 1 and 2 are a 1972 cover with metal fasteners - clearly reads M-1967. Photos 3 and 4 are a 1973 model.

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

This is the 1974 model with reinforced material at the canteen cup edge.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

Oh awesome! Thank you for the pictures! The same surplus store has one of those 1974 pattern covers as well, guess I'll have to snag that too next time I'm there.

Have a great day,

Garrison M.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, gman5004 said:

Oh awesome! Thank you for the pictures! The same surplus store has one of those 1974 pattern covers as well, guess I'll have to snag that too next time I'm there.

PM sent