NOS Gemsco & Meyer Dress EGAs

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

I picked these up recently.  I don’t have better pictures yet but they look like 1937 Dress EGAs.  The Gemsco is a dress cover EGA and the Meyer are dress collar EGAs. I’m not sure I’m going to keep them or move them.  I’ve looked around but have not see any NOS EGAs from the same era.  Anyone have an idea what they are worth?

Thanks 

Craig

1E3B232E-E7F2-4264-A86D-DCA1A221C90A.jpeg

560D1C7C-B1F9-4BE3-907D-A0F9A81B7144.jpeg

teufelhunde.ret

At auction you might get around $200 for the group. You could see more if the right two collectors are bidding. Did you look at the reverse of the collar emblems for a Meyer marking?

Catfishcraig
6 hours ago, teufelhunde.ret said:

At auction you might get around $200 for the group. You could see more if the right two collectors are bidding. Did you look at the reverse of the collar emblems for a Meyer marking?

Thank You!

I should have them in hand this week.  I will post more pictures then, including the hallmarks.

Craig

This pattern Gemsco cover is accepted as post-WWII/Korea

Collar emblems are going to be dependent on hallmarks...could also be Korea

usmcaviator

Korean War to early 1960's era.  Value, I'd expect $125-150 for the collars and $150-175 on the hat.  Nice to find on very nice cards like this. 

Mike

Catfishcraig

First off I would like to thank you all for your comments and help.  As promised here are better pictures.  If I’m guessing right the Meyer hallmark on the dress collar EGAs would make them late 1940s?

Thanks again for your help

Catfishcraig

Seller said he bought them both from a Navy store that went out of business in the 60s.

Thanks again 

Craig

Catfishcraig
1 hour ago, Brig said:

Meyers are 50s-60s

Thank you for the info.  Would these have been continued to be used after 1962?  I assume that officers didn’t go right out and buy the next variant when they came out.  Or maybe they did if told to??

Thanks Craig 

Depends.

These days, one would absolutely be expected to go out overnight if a uniform item changed and purchase it. However there's also a transition period, where you're allowed to wear out your items for a period so you're not just throwing out good stuff, and so that the supply chain has the time to catch the service up. These days it's usually a 1-3 year period, depending on the item in question.

If you look at official portraits from the 60s and 70s, it's fairly common to see higher ranking officers still wearing their WWII era emblems. However, the only collectors I know who will put them on a post 62 uniform only do so if they have a photo that the Marine who owned that particular uniform did so.

teufelhunde.ret

Brig is spot on, in putting together Tim Klie’s monumental new book on EGAs we used a few examples of Generals wearing their commissioning emblems from the 30s... all that matters in that era, were they serviceable. I saw many examples of such as a young Marine. At the Ball I wore my fathers WW2 dress emblems. s/f

Hell...Peter Pace wore P37 H&H Imperial collar birds in his official portrait...of course he was the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the time...

800px-Peter_Pace_official_portrait.jpg

920x920.jpg

He also wore H&H dress collars...which I would bet were 50s/60s stock by the luster. I've heard he's an EGA collector, but how extensively I don't know

Peter_Pace_in_dress_uniform_2005.jpg

Catfishcraig

Again thank you both for sharing your knowledge on these beautiful EGAs.  I can see why a collector can find them so attractive.

Craig