Airborne used A-8?

1canpara

Just looking for opinions on whether this early A-8 flight helmet may have been used in early jump training by an airborne officer. It’s named and has an officers number, but I don’t recall seeing any AAF flight helmets marked in this way so that’s why I wonder if maybe it could have been para training cap. The chin cup is clearly not an airborne issue one. 

A984BFDF-1212-4FA7-AB99-E434DED3680B.jpeg

A2B8BB27-77D3-4BAD-A004-9A41347569BF.jpeg

67DCA27C-D7F0-4E4F-A600-1EA10DCB505D.jpeg

41A0F628-FF8E-4725-BABE-F0C4BF07312E.jpeg

0628236A-4167-40BB-8AA0-771102CBB3E4.jpeg

D2BFE294-6C3D-4105-A2ED-0E5401EFABC4.jpeg

I have one or two of these but I have never heard of a way to determine if they were part of the early parachute program.  I assume, like so many other items, that provenance is about the only way.

If the O-number comes up as a parachute vet then I would be comfortable with the assumption. Otherwise, IMO, it is AAF gear.

JMO,

Dave

I have found that over the years, the A-8 helmet is REALLY hard to find compared to the A-9 and other flight helmets.

Here is a photo of early WWII paratroopers wearing the balloon cloth coverall, A-8 flight helmet and jump boots with ankle buckles. I took the photo from this website-

http://www.woo-life.com/dev/mister-freedom-spot-camo-chute-jump-scarf/

The A-8 really isn't good for a whole lot from an aviation point of view. It was basically a head cover for pilots in an open cockpit. It worked as intended for the paratroops, though it was eventually determined to be an unnecessary piece of clothing/ equipment as troopers wore the airborne version of the M1 steel helmet (the M2).

Allan

Parachute_Troops.jpg

Thanks Allan, that’s great info. I’m leaning towards the possibility that this one could have been used in airborne trading then. If anyone can assist me in looking up the name or number to see if it comes back to an airborne officer I’d be very grateful. 

7 hours ago, 1canpara said:

Thanks Allan, that’s great info. I’m leaning towards the possibility that this one could have been used in airborne trading then. If anyone can assist me in looking up the name or number to see if it comes back to an airborne officer I’d be very grateful. 

I'm afraid that I can't read what is stamped there besides "JURY." Officer's numbers are harder to research than enlisted, but if you could type out what you are reading on the stamped info, we might get lucky.

Allan

Thanks Allan. I make it out to be  F.H. Jury O-8328 ....there’s another two digits at the end, 28, but they appear to be a different font and I’ve never seen a “laundry number” with six digits, so I don’t know what to make of those extra numbers. 

Rick

Rick,

That is his full service number. I'll see if I can find anything, but for now, the "Jury is out."

Allan