Beret correct ID

joepe

Hi there

I am from South Africa. Saw this earlier on a buyer's web site. The description said it is an original Vietnam era beret. The price is very high (R5800.00, which is roughly $330) Could this be a real piece from the Vietnam era?

Thanks

Joe

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Image 5.jpg

However
I can’t read If it’s
dSA-100-77 or
dSA -100-71

Need younger sharper eyes on that

Wartime cool
Post war not as hot

I am thinking you are looking for a Vietnam conflict item

I hope this helps your question

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good day Mr Owen

So it is a real item. Strange to find that kind of gem on this side of the pond. Thanks for your input and yes, I agree that wording is not a very clear photo. And you say about 330 Us Dollars is not a bad price. Thank you so much Sir. Much appreciated

FT.Monmouth1943

The beret is dated 1977. If it was from Vietnam, I’d say it’s a fair price (though you could definitely find cheaper), but being post war and not named it’s probably worth about a third of that price.

- Jakob

Thank you Sir - If the beret is dated around 1977 - it could be just after the Vietnam War. I also thought that amount the dealer is asking for it is extremely high - not many serious collectors will part with R 5 800.00 easily. I know the Rand is weak against the other currencies, but in our terms that is a high price and we don't know for sure if the owner was in fact using that beret during the Vietnam War.

1977 is too late for use in Vietnam during the war. The last US combat units had left by late 1972- early 1973 and the south fell to the north in 1975.

Agree with others, a 1977 5th SF Group beret is not worth what a 1967 one would be. Priced too high in my opinion. 

Just for your own knowledge it is marked (As close as I can make it out);

BERET, MAN'S WOOL 

Rifle Green Shade

DLA100-77-E-0378

The Defense Logistics Agency contract number contains the date in the second 2 digits, in this case 1977. Learning how to read contract numbers will serve you well when trying to date items. 

Thank you to you all - I am learning so much here and I appreciate all the inputs. I am not going to buy this item as it is way over priced and I will wait longer for a real Green beret.