Navy 6 pounder shell

hink441

Found this one in a antique shop this morning. Dated 10-18. 

I never found a 6 pound shell before and happy this one is dated go the Great War era. 

5541339E-8EB7-49A6-88F9-3CB0BF0A6F6B.jpeg

397AE7AB-CE76-4DA9-9AE9-B0B81FCCA500.jpeg

EFEA1F81-F591-478F-8AD7-E4F37E06689E.png

Does the projectile have a copper driving band? I can't tell from the pics. Also, is the nose threaded to accept a fuze? If no driving band, it is not original to the case, and most likely a shop turned repro to fill the hole.

No driving band and no threads on the top. 

Projectile could have been made later but it is heavy and well done.

If it has no driving band it most likely was made by bubba to fill the hole, especially with no fuze threads ( size of the fuze opening does not appear to be correct either). A chance it could be an unfinished scrapped piece. Can you remove the projectile? Unlikely, but it could have markings on the base. Many projectiles of that era had a single letter inspection stamp indicating what step it was in the forging, stamping, turning process. In any case, projectiles can be found. eBay, GB, gun board forums, etc.

I was able to get the projectile (or imitation projectile) off of the case. I can see no markings and the lower bottom appears to have been roughly cut off. 

76CD466A-8B7B-4DCF-AD78-FF1A8D277FC7.jpeg

B0378FA9-7F43-4B7F-982E-88EE8DC429CB.jpeg

27591442-682A-41BA-852F-64AD9AB38056.jpeg

4 hours ago, hink441 said:

I was able to get the projectile (or imitation projectile) off of the case. I can see no markings and the lower bottom appears to have been roughly cut off.    

With it's flat nose, that'd make a good diorama base.

Something like this could be scaled up to 1/35th and if displayed inverted, mounted at the (wider) base end.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FKBCWCF2E/2x72nd-hotchkiss-6pdr-gun?optionId=98238886&li=marketplace

48 minutes ago, Brian Keith said:

It could have been a "trench art" lamp at one time.

BKW

I think that is a good possibility.