McClellan 17th Pa.Cav. I.D. Disc

skypilot6670

Small size I.D. Disc (slightly larger than a dime) of John Yarns from Susquehanna Co. Pa. He was 39 years old when he was mustered in on Oct. 20,1862 at Harrisburg.Assigned to Co.K  he was carried as present on all musters except Jan.and Feb. 1865 and shows at Pleasant Valley Maryland. He was mustered out on June 16,1865. He returned to Thompson Pa. drew a small disability pension and died in the poor house of Thompson on March 11,1905.
      The 17th Pa. Cav. was assigned to The Army of the Potomac , primarily in the 1st Division 2nd Brigade Calvary Corps. In their 2 and 1/2 years of service they were engaged on 80 separate days and list casualties in each of those. 
     The most interesting thing fo me about Yarns is his service at Gettysburg.They were with Buford and as such were engaged in the 1st days fight holding their  ground until the 1st and 11th Corps arrived. At some point Co. K was assigned to Headquarters 11th Corps. There they were involved in covering that Corps retreat to Cemetery Hill and helped in establishing that position.

D83FDAF4-5E05-4B8D-9090-2606836E0171.jpeg.42ec55d6cac11e11beebe1d7f4a27549.jpeg

A561C90C-2A84-4869-BBF7-0F473659D039.jpeg.0835fe3c6da6d0017cd5a9cd64905849.jpeg

9E350A6B-969D-473C-A664-C1F668D405F6.jpeg.af605c6b8c7762101da8dbb30eb93901.jpeg

John Yarns is carried on the Pennsylvania Monument as J Yans. The 17th monument is truly beautiful and is on the first days battlefield near the Peace Memorial. This is the first disc I ever purchased and is still one of my favorites. The reason for two holes is unknown to me. 

USCapturephotos

You did it again! What a nice disc. I had an ancestor, William Irwin who was a private in Co. L of the 17th. His pension records show that he got a hernia on the way to Gettysburg when weighed down with extra ammunition.

Paul

skypilot6670

Thanks Irish and Paul for the kind comments. Paul , I have several pieces from men who were disabled on that march. It must have been brutal. Mike

M24 Chaffee

Great disc! It’s great to have an article or articles  in a collection that have provenance. They just have a special glow around them!

Frank

skypilot6670

Thanks Frank, that’s  the real beauty of I.D.ed items. The history of the piece brings it to life. This forum is the best for that. Many, many of its members work very hard to preserve the history of items ,from identifying what they are to researching the individual and displaying them and sharing their knowledge freely.  Thanks again.   Mike

USCapturephotos
36 minutes ago, skypilot6670 said:

Thanks Frank, that’s  the real beauty of I.D.ed items. The history of the piece brings it to life. This forum is the best for that. Many, many of its members work very hard to preserve the history of items ,from identifying what they are to researching the individual and displaying them and sharing their knowledge freely.  Thanks again.   Mike

I loved what you said here Mike. I really appreciate and enjoy looking at your wonderful collection that you share with us!

Paul