USMC in WW2 recommendations

Adam85

Hi all, this is my first post so I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section. 

I am looking for book suggestions on the Marines during WW2.  

I have read: 

With the Old Breed

Guadalcanal Diary 

Helmet for my pillow 

One Square Mile of Hell

Evans Carlson, Marine Raider

thank you all. 

Blacksmith

Are there particular units or campaigns you are interested in?  

I have long had keen interest in the Battle of Peleliu, which seems to be an under-represented campaign, from a literature perspective.

One work about Peleliu that I really appreciate is George P. Hunt’s “Coral Comes High”.

huntssurplus
15 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Are there particular units or campaigns you are interested in?  

I have long had keen interest in the Battle of Peleliu, which seems to be an under-represented campaign, from a literature perspective.

One work about Peleliu that I really appreciate is George P. Hunt’s “Coral Comes High”.

Another good book about Peleliu would be "Landing in Hell: The Pyrrhic Victory of the First Marine Division on Peleliu, 1944" By Peter Margaritis, it's a newer book (released 2018) and it's shorter as well (Under 200 pages) but It's a good read. Another book to go along with it would be "Twenty-Two on Peleliu: Four Pacific Campaigns with the Corps" By George Peto and Peter Margaritis. It's the personal memoir of Peto, a USMC veteran whom Margaritis came across during his research for the aforementioned "Landing in Hell". 

I also liked "Tanks in Hell: A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa" By Oscar E. Gilbert. It's an interesting read as you don't hear much about USMC tanks. 

Another interesting one is "Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII" By William Putney. It's a history of the dogs used by the Marine Corps during WW2, another thing you don't hear about too often.

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. All are easy reads I say, and not too long. Let me know if you are interested in more and I can go looking in my library!

Hunt

2 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

Another good book about Peleliu would be "Landing in Hell: The Pyrrhic Victory of the First Marine Division on Peleliu, 1944" By Peter Margaritis, it's a newer book (released 2018) and it's shorter as well (Under 200 pages) but It's a good read. Another book to go along with it would be "Twenty-Two on Peleliu: Four Pacific Campaigns with the Corps" By George Peto and Peter Margaritis. It's the personal memoir of Peto, a USMC veteran whom Margaritis came across during his research for the aforementioned "Landing in Hell". 

I also liked "Tanks in Hell: A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa" By Oscar E. Gilbert. It's an interesting read as you don't hear much about USMC tanks. 

Another interesting one is "Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII" By William Putney. It's a history of the dogs used by the Marine Corps during WW2, another thing you don't hear about too often.

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. All are easy reads I say, and not too long. Let me know if you are interested in more and I can go looking in my library!

Hunt

Thank you, those sound like some great suggestions.  Yes if you have more I would definitely welcome them.  Thanks a lot 😊

huntssurplus
55 minutes ago, Adam85 said:

Thank you, those sound like some great suggestions.  Yes if you have more I would definitely welcome them.  Thanks a lot 😊

I'll try to dig out a few books and send them over!

Hunt

Rakkasan187

If you want to read about the Battle for Iwo Jima:

IWO: by Richard Wheeler. Wheeler was a member of the company that raised the flag on Mt. Surabachi.

I have others that I will get from storage and list them when I have time

Leigh 

patrick_usmc

Brotherhood of Heroes by Bill Sloan is also about Peleliu, and a fantastic book. 

I’m a big fan of memoirs so here are a few of my favorites (not including those you’ve already mentioned):

“Islands of the Damned”, by R.V. Burgin. He was at Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa. 

“You’ll be Sor-ree” by Sid Phillips. He was at Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester. 

”Battleground Pacific” by Sterling Mace. This one doesn’t quite have the literary quality of “With the Old Breed”, but you sure can get into his head. It’s a very raw read and that’s why I appreciate it. He was at Peleliu and Okinawa, also with K/3/5, but a rifleman, not in the mortar section with Sledge and Burgin. He’s still alive too. 

“Red Blood, Black Sand” by Chuck Tatum is a good one about Iwo Jima. 

and I’ve heard “Goodbye Darkness” by William Manchester is very good. I have a copy but haven’t read it yet. From what I can tell he fought on Okinawa, but uses his experiences there to describe other battles as well. If you get it, I’d suggest reading. The end notes first. 

Lots of great recommendations here, but I will say that "Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester has to be one of the worse books that I have ever read.  Just my opinion... 

I have mentioned it before here in the "Book Reports" section.

18 hours ago, M422A1 said:

Lots of great recommendations here, but I will say that "Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester has to be one of the worse books that I have ever read.  Just my opinion... 

I have mentioned it before here in the "Book Reports" section.

Thanks for the heads up on that one! 

Some other good reads.

One Returned- A 2nd Marine's memoir of Guadalcanal and Tarawa

Bloody Tarawa- An excellent Narrative history of the battle

Faithful Warriors- an 8th Marine's officer's memoir of Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian

Stay off the Skyline- Multiple 6th Division veteran's recollections of Okinawa

Bringing Mulligan Home- The son of a 6th Div vet tries to discover the root of his father's PTSD from Guam and Okinawa

Killing Ground on Okinawa- Great narrative of the Battle for Sugar Loaf Hill

On 6/8/2020 at 2:39 AM, ww2marine said:

Some other good reads.

One Returned- A 2nd Marine's memoir of Guadalcanal and Tarawa

Bloody Tarawa- An excellent Narrative history of the battle

Faithful Warriors- an 8th Marine's officer's memoir of Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian

Stay off the Skyline- Multiple 6th Division veteran's recollections of Okinawa

Bringing Mulligan Home- The son of a 6th Div vet tries to discover the root of his father's PTSD from Guam and Okinawa

Killing Ground on Okinawa- Great narrative of the Battle for Sugar Loaf Hill

Thank you so much! 
I’d like to cover all the battles if possible. 

• 1 month later...
patrick_usmc

“Always Faithful” by Captain William Putney, D.V.M., USMC (Ret.) is a good memoir about Marine war dogs, something not found as often in war literature.