Fully Appointed (Tooled) ETO Map Case

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

I'd like to share my M38 Map Case with all the correct appointments and tools that would have been needed for operations in the ETO using Allied G.S.G.S. Maps.  U.S. Army maps between the wars were scaled at 1: 500,000, 250,000, 200,000, 125,000, 62,500, 50,000, 20,000.  These scales for the most part were not the standard for the G.S.G.S. maps used in ETO, which were scaled 500,000, 250,000,  100,000, 50,000, 25,000, 10,000. 

ETO Map tools that were scaled to match the Allied G.S.G.S. maps needed to be scaled to accommodate Tactical Maps of 1:50,000 and 1:25,000.  Also many of these maps were interpreted form European Maps so had to incorporate measurements in yards and miles for easier use by American and some British troops.  I have included photos of Allied made Opisometer (Curvimeter), Rectangular Protractor, and Semicircular Protractor.  Also, full complements of cellophane, grease, colored, and regular graphite pencils, period eraser and period retractable pencil sharpening knife.  My map case also has (1:100,000) map of the Cherbourg Peninsula produced by the 652 ND ENGR. BN from a French 1:80,000 map, showing the conversion of European scaled maps to a standard G.S.G.S. scale

All comments are welcome and appreciated. 

My Map Case6.JPG

My Map Case1.JPG

My Map Case3.JPG

My Map Case4.JPG

My Map Case5.JPG

Brian Keith

Excellent! Really neat to see all the proper items. I suspect it took quite a bit of time to assemble it if you bought it "one piece at a time".

Thanks for posting it.

Best regards,

BKW

Persian Gulf Command

I wish it did come out of a "time capsule" as found  but I've been collecting ETO tactical maps for a long time and was able to put this together by coming across the pieces.  The Opisometer and semicircular protractor, with the correctly marked scales in yards and meters, were the most difficult to locate.

Persian Gulf Command

Here is a photo of a WW2 U.S. Army semicircular protractor.  Notice that the scales will not work if using a WW2 G.S.G.S. 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 map.

U.S. Simicircular Protractor.jpg

Are those items typical of what you might find in a WW2 map case? I would like to try to get some stuff for mine (USMC).

Old Marine

That is a great complete set.  I know that took a lot of searching and hunting to find all the parts.  Great job!

Persian Gulf Command
2 hours ago, collector said:

Are those items typical of what you might find in a WW2 map case? I would like to try to get some stuff for mine (USMC).

All these tools, pencils, easer, and knife are WW2 period.  The tools are scaled to 1:100,000, 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 which were standard G.S.G.S. British produced in scales for their ETO Maps.  The pencils, eraser, and Knife are all WW2 period U.S.A. produced.  The plastic and paper Ferrules on the pencils and the Blaisdell grease pencils were only produced during the war years.  In fact only the Blaisdell Company produced these grease pencils that would have been used on the acetate grid of the map case.  The correctly scaled  Opisometer (Curvimeter) is either U.S. or British made, my guess in U.S. made.   

Here is some historical reference from WW2 History of Army Map Service.  It indicates the cooperation between the American  Army Map service (AMS) and the British Geographical Section General Staff (G.S.G.S.):   http://www.escape-maps.com/escape_maps/history_army_map_service_wwii.htm

Most of the maps used by British land and air forces in the Second World War were made by the Geographical Section, General Staff (GSGS, also known as MI 4), operating under the Director of Military Operations and Intelligence. GSGS senior staff were usually Royal Engineer officers with surveying qualifications, although there were a few Royal Artillery or infantry officers. The rest of the staff were civil technical assistants and clerks, together with some RE other ranks.

Also, specific areas of geographic responsibilities were divided between the United States and Great Britain. On May 12, 1942, it was agreed that the U.S. would assume responsibility for all map production and supply for: North and South America, Australia and New Zealand, the Pacific Islands, Dutch East Indies, Japan, Iceland, Greenland, and Bermuda.  The Geographic Section of the UK General Staff assumed responsibility for all other geographic areas.  It was also agreed the Army Map Service and the British Directorate of Military Surveys would share with each other all maps reproduced so each headquarters would hold world coverage.  At an international conference on March 10, 1943, it was further decided that the U.S. would additionally be responsible for Korea, Mongolia, Manchuria, parts of Russia and Africa, and China north of 32°N and east of 108°E.  The U.S. also agreed to accept responsibility to prepare several specific maps of parts of Western Europe.

Persian Gulf Command

These are some examples of WW2 period pencils, grease pencils, color pencils, and erasers:

P3210109.JPG

DSCF4552.JPG

DSCF4600 (2).JPG

I see vintage pencils and other items at garage sales, and I think I'll start picking some of the oldies up. Appreciate the pictures, good to see what I'm after. I have a couple of WW2 maps of my fathers for the grid insert, one Okinawa and one North China.

Thanks