Sign in to follow this  
dave307

Unknown military cast iron plaque

Very heavy cast iron plaque that looks to me like it would be placed on top of a wood post.  What is it? What time frame?

67324DCB-5D52-4525-BB85-099F893B2000.jpeg

653DD15F-F88A-441D-A014-6ECC4C8A471F.jpeg

45F0EC7A-22A2-4287-B08B-45F76B40199D.jpeg

Army Navy Union U.S.A. oldest veterans organization in the United States.  Popular with some Civil War Vets.  Mike

donation2014.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for the input. I never thought about it being a grave marker. Any idea about age? 

This organization is still in existence. The badge was adopted on June 21,1892 so it’s after that date. The grave markers are popular for distinguishing a veteran who was a member of a veterans organization such as the G.A.R , U.C.V.,American Legion ,V.F.W. or Army Navy Union and probably others I’am not familiar with. It looks like bronze or brass.  I think cast iron would show some rust. There are several forum members who have rescued similar markers from scrap piles and flea markets .You may be able to locate an active garrison (there word) and they could use it to mark a known members grave.There was a post on these markers several years ago here on the forum. Mike

donation2014.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I was a member of the Army & Navy Union for a few years in the late 1980s until the garrison I was a member of in Conneaut Ohio folded. There are less than 30 garrisons still in existence, with most of them being in Ohio. This is a link to their web site where you can get more information. https://sites.google.com/site/armynavyunionusa/home

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thanks. I’m going to do some more research. I would gladly donate this for a good cause. The only thing shipping would be a problem because it weighs a ton. 

Yes indeed, seen these before in my neck of the woods, lots of huge cemeteries in my neighborhood, seen these in particular in a cemetery called The Lutheran Cemetery and one Cypress Hills Cemetery.