Legit AN-H-15?

36thIDAlex

36thIDAlex

Hey all, just got this one in as I was hoping to get a nice summer helmet for the jumpsuits I have. Unfortunately I don’t have a ton of experience with these and am concerned with parts of this one being refurbished or redone. I am mostly concerned that the leather bits have been replaced as the receiver, cups, the metal snaps, and the cloth itself seem to have a good amount of wear and appear original to me. The leather just seems really rough and fresh. The chinstrap has some loss of color and is cracked but the stuff on the back and the leather where the O2 mask attaches just looks super fresh to me. I don’t know enough about if there even a lot of reproductions out there or if replacing stuff like that is even possible so I figured I’d reach out here if anyone can tell me whether I am fine and maybe it’s just NOS or if this is something restored or made from scratch.

0beba44b2fb89b747817f6b1b73bcebc.jpg

7ee23f0936f40ffc57cbec15dc28ce33.jpg

77cab7c50aa51241ec0c5757bb33a44c.jpg

59ba43567cba8c75285b78a4da7966c7.jpg

673cfa4209567e1aab8c96b5299d3195.jpg

5d769a86cab880ed782674a92c3aa098.jpg

17150b7fc15cf161ede64c71c00a8757.jpg

f1377511e3b17c55c5dc9b79fb034a59.jpg

ac3d01bf824117ced08bc089a0c166db.jpg

pararaftanr2

Looks fine, and original NOS, to me. I'm unaware of anyone reproducing theses helmets. They have been readily available for decades now as tons were released to the surplus market after the war. One suggestion though. I'd remove the oxygen mask hook from the wearer's left side. It was only worn on the right with the A-14 mask.

When you do, don't just pull it off though, use the tip of a small screwdriver, or blade of a knife, to separate the two parts of the snaps, as the material can sometimes be fragile, even when it doesn't appear to be on these 75 year old helmets.

36thIDAlex
Looks fine, and original NOS, to me. I'm unaware of anyone reproducing theses helmets. They have been readily available for decades now as tons were released to the surplus market after the war. One suggestion though. I'd remove the oxygen mask hook from the wearer's left side. It was only worn on the right with the A-14 mask.
When you do, don't just pull it off though, use the tip of a small screwdriver, or blade of a knife, to separate the two parts of the snaps, as the material can sometimes be fragile, even when it doesn't appear to be on these 75 year old helmets.

Thanks for the heads up, I just had no idea a helmet could be in such good shape this long but I Imagine it was one stored for long after the war. I wasn’t sure why there were the double hooks on there but will have to take them off. Should I still leave one on? I have an a11 I could put the spare on if you think it would be right and then I’d have one on both, but if it wouldn’t be correct I’d rather take both off and keep them in storage. I tried tugging gently and realized they were real snug so I will have to try your screwdriver trick, hopefully that works.

pararaftanr2

The spare hook is perfect for an A-11. They go on the wearer's right side to engage the loop on the A-14 oxygen mask. The two web straps on the opposite side of the A-14 mask attach to the wearer's left side of the helmet.

Just insert the blade (screw driver or knife) between the male and female parts of each snap and gently twist it a bit . This will  pop them right open.

A nice one. Agree on all counts. Those snaps can be really tight.

As an aside, an aircraft mechanic buddy has several old kitchen butter knives that have been shortened almost to the handle and then beveled about 45 degrees on the cut off face. Also slightly rounded and deburred. I made one or two and they are very useful for push scraping things and prying gently under things with lots of control and a broad less damaging surface(the face is wide and the handle narrow vs. the opposite on a flathead screwdriver). Tip: the cheaper the butter knife the better. I had one that I wanted to bend slightly for a little prying tool and it shattered. It certainly wasn't high carbon as it was stainless but it was very brittle.

Sorry for going off topic.

Dave

doinworkinvans

I would have had the same question as that leather does look very fresh!  But NOS would explain that.  Thankfully this is one of the items no one has "faked" yet....that we know of lol

Congrats a nice helmet - looks like you have a nice collection going back behind there as well....

Although, that water bottle does not appear vintage 🤣

pararaftanr2

Dave, 

By "small" screwdriver, I mean just that. The one I've used successfully to do the job for 30 years is 4.5" in length (including the handle) and only1/8" across the tip, which is nice and thin. Very easy to get into tight spaces too. No modifications or fabricating needed. Something equivalent should be relatively easy to find.

Regards, Paul

36thIDAlex
I would have had the same question as that leather does look very fresh!  But NOS would explain that.  Thankfully this is one of the items no one has "faked" yet....that we know of lol

Congrats a nice helmet - looks like you have a nice collection going back behind there as well....

Although, that water bottle does not appear vintage [emoji1787]

Thanks for the help y’all, I might just have to try that knife thing and keep it around for whenever I come across stuff like this

And yeah it’s just the latest in a growing air corps display. I try to stick with just ETO infantry but I swear every time I find a really neat air corps piece I just can’t pass it up. It’s made for some great public displays. The helmet gets me closer to completing my PTO flyer which uses the P61 veterans suit for a base. Still need that A14 which has long-evaded me but we go on.

d7803888ba86e1a80080a042862f4c14.jpeg

e8f6fc219475a7805f578225eb6d782d.jpeg

684945f1ff03b88645971398865f8cb1.jpeg

3a7168021145f89f36d28fcce13bf089.jpg

e26c0daeab1532c7dfd8559283374b5c.jpg

Yeah, that looks great! Nice room. I found it too difficult NOT to specialize in something.

Paul, I was just spit balling. Certainly that tool isn't required but it's so darned handy for so many projects. I don't think I had it last time I had to separate old snaps. I'm sure I used the same tiny screwdriver.

Dave