Doubting the authenticity. Trench Knife

Adventuretime

Adventuretime

Hey all!  Looking for expert advice. Recently put my hand into some brass knuckles and noticed some red flags. More of a gun guy, so this is out of my comfort zone. Read a bunch of threads on this topic and they lead me to believe it’s a repro. Can any expert take a look at the pics and confirm?  (Posting pics based on the posts describing discrepancies...have many more pics if needed) 

Thank you all in advance!!

6527C50E-7633-4A98-B2F8-819D94E2D887.jpeg

624B38E8-22A8-498D-94E2-33DC4639BEBE.jpeg

7A5F5E1E-3E17-4113-BD60-4DE94A049E69.jpeg

895974E1-1F7F-4890-A057-6B9C67A25058.jpeg

F1C5A190-E97D-411D-9429-64570D9A9F4D.jpeg

militariaone

Greetings,

Blade is definitely from a reproduction and not like those made by L. F. & C. (specifically, the blade's ricasso area is clearly indicative of a known repro), but I will hold off on judgement of the handle's originality. Picture's-wise, I would request an image in which we may view the entirety of the handle/knuckles in order to see their overall shape/proportions. That said, British Broad Arrow/Pheon marks are a typical "tell" placed on reconstructions/fakes, which IMHO are used to distract potential buyers with something to focus on instead of the knife itself. While I never say "never," all United Kingdom's War Department (WD)/Broad Arrow Marked MK. I knives I have viewed, have always been reproductions or creative "recreations."  There is a thread of a H. D & S. knife once on this forum, which possessed a similar WD/Broad Arrow mark and that example was also "fake" all day long though, its owner felt otherwise. I'm no expert, but my eyes still work 🙂 Thoughts complete.

Best,

V/r Lance

• 3 weeks later...
militariaone

Greetings all,

Kind of surprised we never heard back from the original poster in terms of providing more images of this questionable knife for further evaluation/discussion. Well today, I viewed this link and my pea brain finally figured out why the original poster's subsequent "radio silence."  https://annapolismaritimeantiques.com/products/trench-knife-u-s-1918-lf-c-1918-intact-with-original-finish?utm_source=attic.city&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=shoplocal

For only $1295.00, you could be the owner of this not original knife. And yes, it's exact the same knife. Insert golf clap here. 🙄

Njoy, I did,

V/r Lance

Bada.jpg

Bad2.jpg

Bad1.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
militariaone

Greetings all,

Not the same exact knife, but the same exact style of fake/reproduction; note the casting flaw (the weird box shape on the handle in front of the logo), spurious WD/Crow's Foot (OK, pheon), and reproduction's blade. These WD/pheon marked replicas also come in an H. D. & S. logo marked variant. The images of this post's shared variant comes from this website: https://sallyantiques.co.uk/product/landers-frary-and-clark-american-wwi-trench-knuckle-knife-m1-1918-with-knuckle-duster-maker-and-wd-marked/

Buyer Beware,

Best,

V/r Lance

Reproduction.jpg