Is this a late-WWII H&H Naval Aviator Wing?

Frank_Smith

Frank_Smith

Good afternoon:

I was wondering if any of you wing experts could give me an indication on the manufacture date of this H&H Naval Aviator wing?  It measures 2 3/4 inches, is clutchback, and is marked on the reverse.  I tried to take good, close up pictures.  I've been told that it was a late WWII era wing, but wanted to confirm what it really was. 

I sincerely appreciate your help!

Frank

Wing_1.jpg

Wing_2.jpg

Wing_3.jpg

The Rooster

I'd say yes thats a WW2 wing. The posts are hand welded too not electric welded.

Frank_Smith

rooster77 -  I appreciate the comment.  Thank you!  Would it be possible for you to show me a picture or refer me to a post where there are electric welded post so I can see the difference?  Frank

When you look at the base of the posts, electro-soldered items do not have the small pool of solder.  The metal of the pin is directly attached to the metal of the insignia when the item is electro-soldered. 

Your wing looks to have been repaired or had the pins replaced at some point in its life.

As for aging, in general (although there are frequent exceptions), "earlier" insignia (pre KW time span) will have a regular welding type process, so you will see small pools of the silver solder at the base of the fittings. Some workman were probably better than others, so it isn't always obvious.  After about the KW time period, most insignia will have been produced using electric currents to fuse the metal together and you won't see the small pool of solder.  However, apparently the technology for using electricity was around during WWII.  But in general, the presence or absence of the solder at the base of the pins are an pretty good way of telling if the wing is early or later manufacture.

Frank_Smith

Pfrost:

Thanks for the information.  

As for the pins being replaced, I think they are original.  I've seen pictures of a few others by searching the Internet the last couple of days and the solder seems a little "blobby" on all of them.

Frank

The Rooster

Thank you for explaining that Patrick.,

I was calling it welding... lol my mind is turning to sawdust !

Here is an example of electric soldered posts on a post war wing.. No puddles.

The Logo or hall mark on your wing is WW2 also.

s-l1600.jpg