Occupation Made M42 Jump Jacket

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

Here’s an occupation made M42 jump jacket I have. These were popular with 11th Airborne troops in occupied Japan. The jacket is in pretty good shape for it’s age although there are some stains and it’s missing its buckle. Sadly no patches or names, but still a neat piece.

- Jakob

1C43A4FF-A8DB-4266-8F17-1DD7029488DF.jpeg

18AC3B40-3B7C-44E3-B27B-CD5467205D16.jpeg

A8E7AF09-F43F-4827-9DE3-9C920AA3B685.jpeg

Wow wasn't aware the Japanese made these for the paratroopers in Japan, too bad the trousers weren't with them.

FT.Monmouth1943

No tags on the inside. The only marking is Osaka Japan on the zipper. I’m not sure if I’m going to add a period buckle since I’d have to undo the stitching on the belt, but it’s certainly a possibility.

- Jakob

Martinjmpr

This prompts a question regarding the M1942 and M1943 Parachutist's uniform:  Would this ever have been worn in a "garrison" environment?  I seem to only see it in areas where there is active fighting.  Did the 11th Airborne (or any other airborne unit) wear the M1943 in some way as a garrison uniform during occupation duty?  All the photos I've seen of occupation-era soldiers they are typically wearing either khaki summer uniforms or OD green winter wool uniforms. 

I checked Stanton's WWII uniforms book and he doesn't make it clear under what circumstances the M1942 or 1943 jump jackets and trousers would have been worn. 

5 hours ago, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

No tags on the inside. The only marking is Osaka Japan on the zipper. I’m not sure if I’m going to add a period buckle since I’d have to undo the stitching on the belt, but it’s certainly a possibility.

- Jakob

That original buckle may have been a bakelite one that got smashed and cracked and then fell in to pieces. But opening up the thread and resewing it by machine will be as simple as pie, just use cotton thread when you have it resewn.

4 hours ago, Martinjmpr said:

This prompts a question regarding the M1942 and M1943 Parachutist's uniform:  Would this ever have been worn in a "garrison" environment?  I seem to only see it in areas where there is active fighting.  Did the 11th Airborne (or any other airborne unit) wear the M1943 in some way as a garrison uniform during occupation duty?  All the photos I've seen of occupation-era soldiers they are typically wearing either khaki summer uniforms or OD green winter wool uniforms. 

I checked Stanton's WWII uniforms book and he doesn't make it clear under what circumstances the M1942 or 1943 jump jackets and trousers would have been worn. 

The M1943 Field Jacket was after a point thee standard jacket for the entire Army and would be worn in garrison if it was prescribed as the uniform of the day, It's those Rigger pants those modified M1943 pants worn with the M1943 starting during Operation Market Garden on that we imagine would not be worn anymore on occupation duty, only the unmodified M1943 pants if worn. We imagine when the 11th Abn Div was up in Japan after WWII, these Rigger pants start to be made for them when the new M1943 Field Jacket and pants became an issue item in that temperate weather land of Japan and probably if made would only be worn during what ever field training the 11th Abn Div conducted which wasn't many we believe, as these guys only wore HBT fatigues in action on Leyte and Luzon in the PI and wouldn't of obviously seen these new items till they got to Japan, these new winter items perhaps were even shipped to the PI in preparation for the November 1945 target date for the first phase of the attack on the Japanese Home Islands, sure they still wore the HBT items as these became the standard field wear Army Wide and in a few years become standard in garrison.

My thinking on this Theater Made M1942 Jump Uniform is that it was bought privately to wear off duty or something to that effect in Japan, we would have to think it would not be worn in formation or on duty like guard duty etc (Don't know when it, the Coat, Parachute Jumper and Trousers, Parachute Jumper  was officially declared obsolete or even if it officially was declared).

2 hours ago, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

- Jakob

leave it as found. when you play -- you ruin. that is the first made in japan I have seen.

FT.Monmouth1943

I was always under the assumption that these were worn more as souvenir type jackets, so either they were worn off-duty or bought as a keepsake to bring home. Here’s a link to a similar one that was posted on the forum that is patched out. 

- Jakob

These Japanese made jump jackets were VERY popular with troopers of the 11th Airborne in Occupied Japan. You will find them in different colors and materials. They were often worn with the famous Swing Cap. I have seen and handled dozens of these jackets over the years. I have NEVER seen a pair of occupation made jump trousers. These were worn as an outer garment and I have been told that they could be worn anywhere except to formations when a uniform inspection was announced.

The first one of these that I acquired had been made from sleeping bag covers. I have one that was made from a rain poncho (very stiff) and one made out of a darker shade of OD canvas. I also have one made of tan twill. The tan one was made from a shirt and pair of trousers. The mama-san who tailored it told the vet to get the biggest set he could find.

Search for "Japanese Jump Jacket" and you will find a number of these already posted.

Allan

Great piece Allen. Never knew they existed. My learning lesson for Today. Thanks for the information and posts. Dave

Great piece, not that common at all! Angolia has got a few in his volume 2. The look the Par!

How are the pocket on yours then? are they sewn down or normal cargo pockets?

Thanks for sharing!

JEB

FT.Monmouth1943
22 hours ago, Junior45 said:

Great piece, not that common at all! Angolia has got a few in his volume 2. The look the Par!

How are the pocket on yours then? are they sewn down or normal cargo pockets?

Thanks for sharing!

JEB

This jacket has normal cargo pockets.

- Jakob

On 5/28/2020 at 8:13 AM, Allan H. said:

These Japanese made jump jackets were VERY popular with troopers of the 11th Airborne in Occupied Japan. You will find them in different colors and materials. They were often worn with the famous Swing Cap. I have seen and handled dozens of these jackets over the years. I have NEVER seen a pair of occupation made jump trousers. These were worn as an outer garment and I have been told that they could be worn anywhere except to formations when a uniform inspection was announced.

The first one of these that I acquired had been made from sleeping bag covers. I have one that was made from a rain poncho (very stiff) and one made out of a darker shade of OD canvas. I also have one made of tan twill. The tan one was made from a shirt and pair of trousers. The mama-san who tailored it told the vet to get the biggest set he could find.

Search for "Japanese Jump Jacket" and you will find a number of these already posted.

Allan

Allan

Couple years ago a member sent a picture of a set of pants to me.They were Japanese made.I looked through my messages and didn't save the message or picture. Maybe he will post the picture of he still has them.

Ron,

I'm not saying pants don't exist, just that I have never seen aa pair. I have handled bunches of jackets- never seen a pair of trousers or even a photo of one.

I'd LOVE to see a pair of trousers if anyone has a  pair to show.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
manayunkman

Here are some pictures of an M42 variation made by the Japanese.

You could say that the tailor took some artistic license.

C3F945EC-90DA-4F52-BF7D-E7ABA0870615.jpeg

02DF9FA6-3BFC-4001-A913-470A18752451.jpeg

FAFA8AE5-EB4A-4640-86F7-494537056168.jpeg

3C08A27E-68AF-4435-A163-A39D719D5AC0.jpeg