Info on M-1 - need explanation to consider buying

Phfly1010

Have a chance to buy a Springfield M-1. Can anyone tell me what they can learn about this rifle from the info below? I''d like a WW2 model, but not sure about this one from CMP? Does the SN tell date of manufacturing? Do weapons from CMP fire rounds?

SN: 2767588 USA (39881)

See photos.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

85459663_8_x.jpg

85459663_20_x.jpg

olivedrab1970

1944 Receiver and 1954 barrel, Federal Ordnance date and car touche stamp on barrel indicates this rifle was most likely recycled and refitted. Rear sight adjusted has been replaced to post WWII style as well, finish looks good From the few pics that is all I can see so far, I am sure there are more M1 Garand enthusiasts on here that will chime in as well.

Robin-

You would be better off to order from CMP yourself. Order a couple and gamble that you get a WWII receiver for $750 shipped. Or take a ride to the South Store and pick out exactly what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

olivedrab1970
Just now, capt14k said:

You would be better off to order from CMP yourself. Order a couple and gamble that you get a WWII receiver for $750 shipped. Or take a ride to the South Store and pick out exactly what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed, CMP rifles are well worth the money and come directly from the U..S Army weapons storage depot. Great video on YouTube in the selection and grading process.

Robin-

+1 for the CMP. It is a great organization. But are they still sending out hackberry stocks? They are a bit disappointing if you are expecting walnut.

PA is closer to the North store. Went there in 2012. But so store always has a better inventory!. They have some nice 03s and 03a3s now. with a few 1917s thrown in.

Moved to the proper Firearms forum as this was asking for advice and not for sale.