Sign in to follow this  
jeff41st

Unusual Flight Surgeon Wings

Hi all. Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend under the circumstances...Was wondering if I could get some opinions on these flight surgeon wings I picked up recently. They appear to be made out of copper?  Has anyone seen a finish like this on other wings?  No hallmark on them, but they resemble a NORSID pattern and with the exception of the Caduceus, are very similar to a set of wings (number 15 from the top) posted on Bob's site.  The Caduceous closely resembles the one on the GEMSCO wing that is directly below it.

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/usaafflightsurgeon.shtml

resized_Front.jpeg

resized_Top Edge.jpg

The wings look fine, late WW2 to more likely KW vintage. Re the finish, I'd guess the lacquer on the obverse has toned/aged. Either that, or it came from a smoker's display.

Regards

Mike

The wear on the high points (front and back) appears to show a silver coloured basemetal, so I'd suggest a lower quality silver alloy, somewhere below sterling (.925). A US wing made from copper would be highly suspect. As mentioned, the wings look fine. Good shear marks on the edges indicating die struck, etc. So I don't think it's the basemetal that is causing the strange colour, I think it's something that's happened to the finish that was applied to the basemetal. Yes, silver/sterling wings also had a silver finish applied to them, and sometimes that finish was also lacquered - ie had a protective clear coating applied.

Regards

Mike

I see what you are saying Mike, but looking at them I don't see any indication of a silver finish. Just a base metal that looks very much like copper.  Here are a couple of sterling wings for comparison. Hopefully this better captures the difference in color/tone of these wings that I see having them in hand. Also, I rubbed a little of the oxidation off of the back of the Flight Surgeon wing using some silver polish. I'ts the area just to the right of center of the wing. Distinctly different color than the silver wings and their brass pins.

resized_IMG_1724.jpg

resized_IMG_1725.jpg

Nice wing. No problems there, IMHO.

Could it have once been a gold plated brass wing by any chance ?

And not a silver wing at all ?

Hi Jeff,

Yea then Im gonna guess that its Brass. ???

One of the earlier Gold Flight surgeon wings...