Thoughts on the Denix M1 Garand?

MinorInHistory

MinorInHistory

I wondering what some opinions were about the Denix replica M1 Garand, and what it is good/not good for in relation to collecting and reenacting. Also, how realistic is it, and if you wanted to make it look more realistic, how would you go about doing it? Are there do’s and don’ts? Has anyone had problems with it? 

Thanks! 

The Denix Garand is a decent representation and used in large numbers by reenactors in Europe where dewat Garands are extremely expensive. The Denix version metal parts are generally just painted black and the wood is not walnut. I have reworked several of them to appear more realistic. It is not hard to do but can be time consuming. I recommend restaining the wood with a walnut stain and treating all metal parts by masking and airbrushing ’Duracoat’ Parker grey color and/or Parker Green for the receiver, the gas cylinder should be flat black. Make sure you remove any and all oil with degreaser before your Duracoat treatment. A Denix Garand so treated will look like like a real Garand up to a few feet away when you add a good quality canvas or leather sling.

MinorInHistory

Ok, thanks. That sounds like a great process that I will have to try! 

• 2 weeks later...
Lo var Lachland

It is a very fragile repro that can be more comparable to a display rifle. I've heard pretty bad things about it if you use it actively in reenactments. There is a YouTuber by the name of "Neo035" who does an excellent review of the Denix M1 and other Denix products, in which he tell you how to make it more realistic by changing the finish as Av8er said, or removing/filling screw-holes.

Turn on captions as he talks in French. 

MinorInHistory

Thanks,

The video was very helpful. If I was to get one, it would just be used during living history events as a display piece. I wouldn’t use it in battles or anything like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you check the ICS airsoft Garand, very nice one. A little bit more expensive than the Denix, but far away from the prices of dewats.