MK. II Grenade with Odd Color? What do I have here?

Nickman983

Nickman983

Picked up what I thought from the limited pictures was a yellow body MKII grenade. It just arrived in the mail a little while ago and I'm a little stumped on this one. Looks like it may have been painted gray at one point. I can't tell if the bottom was originally threaded and then smoothed out or solid and drilled out.

Any ideas on the color of this one? Were grenade purposely painted in this color or is this a backyard repaint?

grenade 01.jpg

grenade 02.jpg

grenade 03.jpg

grenade 04.jpg

grenade 05.jpg

grenade 06.jpg

Nickman983

Was doing a bit of poking around on the forum and found a yellow over painted gray grenade that has a somewhat similar color to mine

I'm used to seeing the factory yellow grenades which are typically a more vibrant color. Anyone else have examples of this to compare mine to?

Also, upon closer inspection there are threads present in the fill hole, the first few threads are just gunked up and hard to see.

Nickman983

Yea, I had made an offer before it was removed by eBay and ended up working out a deal with the seller.

Persian Gulf Command

Nickman,

Nothing wrong with the grenade you bought.  In fact I considered it but left the pursuit when I saw it didn't have a M10A1 lever..  Your example is an original yellow paint over original inter-war gray.  These would have been painted yellow when all HE ordnance was to be painted yellow in the early/mid 1930's.  Just like most yellow grenades were painted OD in mid/late 1942.  I speculate that the darker color is due to the fact that it was applied over a darker base paint.  

Here is an example I have where the yellow was applied over an original black paint.  The yellow is almost the same color as yours.

P9070191.JPG

P9070193.JPG

Nickman983
27 minutes ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Nickman,

Nothing wrong with the grenade you bought.  In fact I considered it but left the pursuit when I saw it didn't have a M10A1 lever..  Your example is an original yellow paint over original inter-war gray.  These would have been painted yellow when all HE ordnance was to be painted yellow in the early/mid 1930's.  Just like most yellow grenades were painted OD in mid/late 1942.  I speculate that the darker color is due to the fact that it was applied over a darker base paint.  

Here is an example I have where the yellow was applied over an original black paint.  The yellow is almost the same color as yours.

Thank you for the information and pictures! I was aware of the yellow over painted OD grenades but I haven't seen many of the black/gray over painted yellow grenades so I wasn't aware of the difference in color when compared to the factory yellow grenades. While having the earlier M10A1 spoon and the fill plug would have been nice I'm just glad to finally have a yellow body MKII in the collection.

mohawkALSE

What would a fair price range be on these?  Ive seen em time to time at antiques shops but always unsure if they are asking way too much or not.

Well, pre flu hoax I would say $3-400 retail for a very good condition one, complete with plug. Currently, What ever you can get.

Nickman983

I ended up getting this one for about $280 after shipping which I think is OK. From what I've seen the yellow ones go for somewhere in the $300-400 depending on condition. I think the later OD grenades will typically go for $200-300 again depending on condition, fuze, body type, etc.

mohawkALSE

Id have to go back and look again if they still had it, at the lever type and if there is a plug etc,  but I took this pic of the few grenades they had a while back.  Looks like the yellow one is priced 295. 

inert frags.jpg

Dirt Detective

Looks like the yellow ones spoon got bent at one time. You can see the crease right above the Y