Parker111502

Ww2 usmc knapsack with unknown marking???

Hello i am new to this forum and I just got this usmc depot made knapsack with an interesting tactical marking and i have no clue what it means and i was wondering if anyone could give some insight thanks! Ps. The guy I bought it from says its 6th marine division

202A541B-7628-4AAC-B0CA-D5A01A7E08E2.png

I saw that one, its a really nice example. Im no expert but I believe that the seller said that the circular yellow mark underneath the blocked mark was for the 6th marine and that they did not know what the block markings over it were. I have no idea what the second markings mean but there are several threads on Marine markings on the forum, Ill try to find one to direct you to. Alternatively I would recommend you set up a free ancestory.com account and search the name through their marine database, they have very good records of marine's service so you can probably figure out the unit that the individual served in and that would tell you what unit the markings are for.

donation2019.gif

Elwood Earl Wegesin was in the Marines 1946-48 and served with  Company C, 1st Bn, 8th Marines and may have been in Japan during the unit's last months of occupation duty. He was with 1/8 at Camp Lejeune and then was at the Marine Barracks, Washington DC. 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Great then mystery is probably solved, I guess the second division makes sense since there are two squares. Are the tac marks with the unit numbers different from this type of marking which is filled in?

donation2019.gif

Howdy all - so, I try to resist responding to USMC “tac mark” topics, as there is a wealth of information (some factual, some hypothesis) already published on the forum, and they generally turn into a swirl that looks pretty similar to the last “tac mark” topic.

Included in this compendium are topics on these exact markings.

What I will say, in response to Ray’s question, is yes, they are very different (e.g. - these “tactical markings”, versus UNIS).

Again, ton of information already on the forum, but in brief, UNIS (Unit Numerical Identification System) is a quasi-well-defined index of geometric shapes and numbers - each of which, ties to a specific division, regiment, battalion, company, etc.  Focusing on UNIS at just the divisional level, the 4th MARDIV (semi-circle) seems to be the most frequently-found marked on gear.  Relatively speaking, it is abundant.  There is less 5th MARDIV (rectangle), and the other divisions are far less common - with some arguably never seen.  By example, I have never seen a confirmed 6th MARDIV (circle) UNIS-marked piece.  That is not to say that I’ve never seen a circle painted on WWII USMC gear, just not one confirmed as UNIS, to an element of the 6th MARDIV.  There are reasons for all of this, such as when the system was deployed to the field, and so forth.  Anyhoot, tons of info on this already abounds.

Back to the OP piece, I do not see that as UNIS.  I see that as falling into the category of mystery markings - some of which has sound thinking around it.  For example, there were identified unit functions based on color used - such as (I think) artillery commonly used yellow?  However, that doesn’t imply exclusivity; if yellow was the only color paint you had, it was yellow.

Very nice piece, by the way, and thank you for sharing it.