Location of WWII LION Eight retracing my fathers service

Johnk

Dad never spoke much of his time in the Navy during WWII, only that he was stationed at NAS Grosse Ile, MI then was in Guam. I started researching a couple years ago and pieced together his service through the free access to Fold3 and later getting a copy of his service records (and his medals).

According to his Notice of Separation he served with/was attached to Lion 8 N-1-A and NAB #939. When I looked through the Fold3 free access this year, I did find references to Lion 8 but no specific location. On this forum I saw where Lion 8 was at Zamboanga, Philippine Islands. But Zamboanga is a ways west of Guam. I did find that Lion 6 was located at Guam. So, I was trying to reconcile if the Lion 8 reference here of being in Zamboanga but the Navy used a general location identifier as Guam, if the Separation records were in error and really was with Lion 6, or if I did not hear what dad said correctly.

Per his records:

1944 1-Jul to 1945 27-Jan    Lion 8 N-1-A USNABPD@San Bruno CA

1945 13-Feb  Transferred via NAB Navy 926

1945 19-Mar US Naval Air Base #939

I have tried the Fold3 search this weekend trying to find him on the muster rolls to the Philippine's using his name, by his service number, but could only find him at Grosse Ile. Was also wondering how to track him via ship muster rolls. Near as I can tell he shipped out 1945 13-Feb. Information on the LION bases in general is very thin on specifics.

I have attached a photo of his graduating class from Great Lakes NTC and if I get nothing else, this was a great find.

I know this is all over, but any thoughts/information would be appreciated. What sparked it all was I am making a display for his flag and I want to put a history of his service in the case along with these photo and his medals.

1942great_lakes_ntccompany_105-42_20160810_2013509121_dad_large_format.jpg

1942great_lakes_ntccompany_105-42_20160810_2013509121 dad large format edit.jpg

Hi John,  First, your attempt at honoring your Father's Naval Service is most commendable. From personal experience, I can tell you that you are indeed correct about reference to the USN's 'LION' locations of WW2 being very scarce. I did some work on LION 4 a few years ago, & it turned out to be at Manus, in the Admiralties Islands, IIRC. One excellent source of reference is via Hyperwar.com, who at last check, had an extensive USN WW2 related historical volumes & related pub's. One which may be of use is, 'Building The Bases', or some similar title. From what I recall, a LION was a Forward Operating Base, set up to repair, provision, & otherwise facilitate USN operations in an advanced area. Try to link onto Hyperwar.com, & then browse through the U.S. Naval series to which volumes might hold some promise. Again, IIRC, they're available via PDF download or HTTP, & depending upon which you choose you may.be able to search for 'keywords', like LION ? See what you can turn up, & also you may wish to check USN Historical Center Pages, which are also very useful. Let me know how you make out, GOOD LUCK !!

Best,    dpast32

dpast32, Thanks so much for your input. I have previously stumbled across the "Hyperwar: Building the Navy's Bases." I got some general information from it, especially what the LION bases did and their importance in the war. But, I did not find much on deployment locations. I'll follow up on the other things you mentioned. I've found out this is more of a slow slog than a run in the park.

John

John,

Unless you are looking for the history of LION 8 specifically, the information you posted from your father's separation and records indicate that he was no longer with LION 8 after 27 Jan 1945.  At that date LION 8 was still located in California.

The information dated 13 Feb 1945 indicates he was transferred via NAB (Naval Air Base?) 926 - Navy 926 is the numbered location for Guam.  The 19 Mar 1945 information shows he was transferred to US Naval Air Base #939 which was located at Orote, Guam.  

Forum information indicates LION 8 at Zamboanga on or about  May 1945.  Your father was already at Guam by that date.  Nothing you've shown indicates assignment to LION 6.  Depending on his rating, there are any number of jobs he could have been assigned to in a LION or at a Air Base.

Feel free to contact me via private message if you have questions or additional information you don't want posted openly.

Larry

Just wanted to follow up and say thanks to dpast32 and US82Bravo. dpast set me on to some good history for my search and US82Bravo went above and beyond getting me some information on my dad's service that I would not have found! Thanks!

I'm glad that I was able to help. Helping out fellow collectors & researchers is my pleasure ! 

Best,    dpast32